Digital Designs SW2508sc review

LosIsATool
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Digital Designs SW2508sc:

I'm finding it hard to review something that is only one piece of the puzzle but I'll share my findings.

If this review ticks off a hater or two, to bad I don't care.

DD designed this to be the super 8. The surround had me very skeptical at first, it looked like a Lanzar or Kicker surround. The difference is this one actually has a function. The ribs are softer to the touch, this allows more linear travel than a standard foam surround. It stretch's under high excursion but still maintains it form.

Power handling- DD rates at 400-800rms. I use a DD M1c (1700 rms). The same amp DD used during the prototype testing. So almost double rated power daily and I'm not easy on it. Driver never breaks a sweat. The kicker is I ran it boosted to hell for a few weeks when the MS-8 decided to boost the sub frequencies and it was still fine.

Listening- I will start by saying whoever says the sc option adds distortion is full of crap. Not once in the 2 months I've used it has my ears been pulled away from the dash board. It has a lot the same sound characteristics of my old W7 10.

I have it in DD recommended 1.25 cubes with 20sq inches of port tuned at 35hz. 25-70hz bandpassed. 1.25 is big for a single 8 but space does make bass. That's efficiency, for a driver to hold together in that much space tells the story about the quality of the driver.

Its in my trunk, seats up and solid, not much of a pass through since the rear shelf holds the amp rack. The transitions are on point, it easily keeps up with Travis Barker. The low notes are solid and strong, easily fills the cabin with bass. Keep in mind I'm coming from a 5000 watt ground pounder.

Conclusion- This really is a special driver. Custom tooled basket, new surround tech, 2.5 inch coil on a 2500 series motor, made with US built soft parts.

It is oversized, more like a 9 inch driver so cutouts are a pain at first and they don't give you a template.

I found this vid, this guy does a good job for a walk through.

This post has been promoted to an article

Did u mean 25-70hz bandwidth and not bandpass? I'd really like to hear this woofer. And 1.25cubes is big for an 8" but ur woofer is a 9". So 1.25^3 is right on par.

Did u mean 25-70hz bandwidth and not bandpass? I'd really like to hear this woofer. And 1.25cubes is big for an 8" but ur woofer is a 9". So 1.25^3 is right on par.
Good catch. Considering most higher end 8s call for .75, 1.25 is still a bit large.

Still don't want one. Do they build the raw materials in america then send them to china to have them made into coils, spiders, surrounds, and such. Then ship back to us for assembly. Im just dicking around nice review could be a little more in depth.

Still don't want one. Do they build the raw materials in america then send them to china to have them made into coils, spiders, surrounds, and such. Then ship back to us for assembly. Im just dicking around nice review could be a little more in depth.
What else do you want to know?

How much is this little guy? DD website says $439. $450 for a **** 8?!
My sc and carbon fiber cap came in at $350.

I forgot to add. Word on the street is DD is applying this same tech on the next 3500 revision.

What else do you want to know?
How is the SQ of it?

Also, A little off-topic. You seem to have experience with DD products. Could you perhaps tell me the difference in output between a TS2500 and a DD2500 model? In terms of sheer output. I understand TS are highly SQ oriented but was wondering in bass 'punch' how are they.

I'm looking to replace my Ultimo SC with something that has significantly more punch and a traditional bass sound not that transparent bass thing which has not been to my liking. DD is one of the brands that are available in my country so wondering how their range is in output & SQ.

Thanks.

Ts2500 is basically a softer suspension 2500 that is optimized to work in small sealed boxes. If you are looking for output you would want the 2500 in a large ported box.

How is the SQ of it?
Also, A little off-topic. You seem to have experience with DD products. Could you perhaps tell me the difference in output between a TS2500 and a DD2500 model? In terms of sheer output. I understand TS are highly SQ oriented but was wondering in bass 'punch' how are they.

I'm looking to replace my Ultimo SC with something that has significantly more punch and a traditional bass sound not that transparent bass thing which has not been to my liking. DD is one of the brands that are available in my country so wondering how their range is in output & SQ.

Thanks.
It's hard to say about the SQ. DD woofers do sound very good. Tight gap, low mass, strong motor.

It blends, and transitions very good, sounds flat to the ear.

But it could be the MS-8.

Ts2500 is basically a softer suspension 2500 that is optimized to work in small sealed boxes. If you are looking for output you would want the 2500 in a large ported box.
It's hard to say about the SQ. DD woofers do sound very good. Tight gap, low mass, strong motor. It blends, and transitions very good, sounds flat to the ear.

But it could be the MS-8.
Thank you both. DD is one of the brands I've short-listed to replace my Ultimo SC.

Still a bit confused as to go TS2500 Sealed or regular 2500 sealed for output. Not sure exactly how much on SQ the former gains.

Then there is the ported route for either one too......

Thank you both. DD is one of the brands I've short-listed to replace my Ultimo SC.
Still a bit confused as to go TS2500 Sealed or regular 2500 sealed for output. Not sure exactly how much on SQ the former gains.

Then there is the ported route for either one too......

If you give them a call you will get what you need.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

LosIsATool

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
LosIsATool
Pensacola, Florida
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies