Did I fry my amp?

emd023
10+ year member

I have a rockford p-10001db mono amp. I took my sub out of my car to make room for some stuff and reinstalled it last night. It did not work. The amp was very hot, the lights would not turn on, and there was a burning smell. Any idea what the problem is here? I have had this amp for over 7 years.

I have a rockford p-10001db mono amp. I took my sub out of my car to make room for some stuff and reinstalled it last night. It did not work. The amp was very hot, the lights would not turn on, and there was a burning smell. Any idea what the problem is here? I have had this amp for over 7 years.
When you removed your sub did you keep the rca's to the amp hooked up where it was still receiving signal? I have heard of this messing peoples amps up before

This is interesting to me as well for I take my sub out all the time and do not think too much abt the exposed speaker wires touching.

I do try to separate them, but should I unplug the rca's as well?

Would that completely eliminate the possible risk?

I'm also running a newer version of that same amp as well... Lol, guess I had better pay more attention. Let us know what the problem with the amp is Op.

so my amp was was warm when i checked it after work. how is this possible? the car had been off all day.
Your amp is still receiving power even if the car is off. If your amp is getting warm without being on, unplug it before it catches on fire and burns down your vehicle.

This is interesting to me as well for I take my sub out all the time and do not think too much abt the exposed speaker wires touching.
I do try to separate them, but should I unplug the rca's as well?

Would that completely eliminate the possible risk?

I'm also running a newer version of that same amp as well... Lol, guess I had better pay more attention. Let us know what the problem with the amp is Op.
Taking out the rca's will not keep the amp from coming on. Much safer to remove the speaker wire from the amp or disconnect the remote wire and tape it off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.