Did i blow my amp?

• Thread starter <Confused_beginner>
  • Start date
  • Replies 11
  • Views 2K
&

<Confused_beginner>

i've never hooked up a system before, and was just messing around with it. i know, i know,,,not a good idea. Well i hooked everything up, and connected the battery back up when i was finished, realizing i forgot to connect the ground wire to the amp. It turned on, then right off again. Is it blown, or is it just a fuse somewhere? thanks for your time.

sounds like a fuse, do you have a fuse on the + power wire? you might wanna check that first, if you dont have a fuse then you could have blown it, if its not a fuse hopefully somebody else can help you

Jon

alot of time what happens, is the amp will draw power from the ground on the rca cables through the reciever, i highly doubt it is blowed, did it ever work in the first place, is it used or what?, like i said unless you did something else to it you aren't mentioning, it is highly unlikely that the amp is blown

Originally posted by i've never hooked up a system before, and was just messing around with it. i know, i know,,,not a good idea. Well i hooked everything up, and connected the battery back up when i was finished, realizing i forgot to connect the ground wire to the amp. It turned on, then right off again. Is it blown, or is it just a fuse somewhere? thanks for your time.
yes you **** head?????????

you said you forgot to hook up the ground wire, then how did it turn on in the first place? correct me if im confused, but if im right connect the ground wire.

Originally posted by i've never hooked up a system before, and was just messing around with it. i know, i know,,,not a good idea. Well i hooked everything up, and connected the battery back up when i was finished, realizing i forgot to connect the ground wire to the amp. It turned on, then right off again. Is it blown, or is it just a fuse somewhere? thanks for your time.

You most likely blew a fuse either on your amp main power cable under the hood or the fuses under the steering column. Hook up the ground again to a good ground and hook that up first . leave the power wire off the battery then hook up the opposite end where the amp is. Now hook up the power wire to the battery.

How did it turn on ?

All depends on the installation, if he screwed it behind his rear seats against the metal plate he can get ground from there *not that it is healthy*

For the rest your amplifier should indeed have an inline fuse which probally is broke. Listening to the information you gave I would say that you took a power cord from your fuseblock in front of the car. Since you haywired the **** you should check your main box for broken fuses to, i doubt that the amp is broken

gl

a while ago, I had my amp hooked up for about 2 months, and my friends pulled it out (from under the seat where it was sitting) and pulled out the ground wire (not from the connection on the amp, but the actually connection to the ground on my vehicle)

so the wire was just sitting there. (I never knew this happended). on the way to school the next day it worked or 20 mintutes then just shut off. My fuses where blown on my amp, when I hooked the amp back up (with the ground wired fixed, it started smoking) so it was fried

it was a jbl 1200.1

I would assume that it would just blow the fuses, then you replaced them, and your good to go (maybe jbl aren't built very good) but anywasy it was my mistake and I Paid for it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.