Crossover Selection

fozzymuphet
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok so I've decided on 2 sets of Phoenix gold RSD65cs's for front and back but I'd like to throw in Some RSD3's to bridge the gap between the tweeter and the midbass. Kind of like what Allsq did in his project log here

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/201005/11

I'm really not trying to break the bank here I just know absolutely nothing about crossovers. I've heard that the RSD's are the **** for the budget minded I just think it would be cool to have a 3-way setup up front and either a 2-way or just a single midbass in the rear.

2 sets of these RSD65cs's

PHOENIXGOLDRSD65CS.jpg

and a set of these RSD3's

RSD3.jpg

Now with this setup I'll have a total of four crossovers, 2 of which will probably be extra as I don't think I'll be using any tweets in the rear. Would it be a bad Idea to use the second crossover to split the signal between the 6.5 and the 3.5" speakers? (or the tweet and the 3.5?) In my head this seems like it would work but like I said I know very little.

And another question: If I did decide to use the tweeters in the rear could I run both sets of tweeters from the same crossover ie front and back?

Of course there is one flaw that I foresee and that is, I don't believe the crossovers are adjustable. The PDF file from the website says that the Tweets are adjustable +/- 2db but I don't believe there is any frequency adjustments.

If my plan for using the crossover upfront is a bad idea will something like this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KX3-KICKER-3-WAY-ACTIVE-CROSSOVER-REMOTE-FOR-SUBS_W0QQitemZ120237375832QQihZ002QQcategoryZ79840QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

kicker%20crossover%20kx3ebay4.JPG

In a more simplified way, this is what I am looking to achieve

50hz and lower on the sub

50hz to 150hz on the 6.5" Midbass

150hz to 3,000hz on the 3.5" "Mid" Midbass

3,000hz and higher on the tweets

Thank you for reading if you got this far.

your goal is excellent, but mixing and matching comp sets and x overs is not a great idea (it might work but youll need some luck and good thinking). it really would be easier to buy a 3 way set where all the thinking and research has been done for you.

im selling a 3 way set,

$130 shipped for the speakers and x overs.

prolly not as good as a $700 comp set but its a cheap way into a 3 way passive set.

pm me if your interested, then you can just get a set or comps 4 the rear (if you really have to)

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33983&highlight=dynaudio

So you're saying it's not worth it? I kinda figured it wouldn't be but this is partially for looks and partially for cost. I just thought that it would give me a little more clarity. What if I ran the 2 ways and overlapped a frequency range in the middle?

Also why is it a no to the comps in the rear? I figured for $75 i'd give the passengers in the back some clarity. Plus I'll need the added db's with the Treo SSX. That sucker gets LOUD

Not worth it - you couldn't use the passive x-over without tweets hooked up, rears are pointless and if you really want to go with a 3-way you could spend even less for a comparable configuration. If you get decent speakers for the front of your car your rear passengers will have no problem hearing them loud and clear - just a month ago I drove a couple of hours giving some friends of mine a ride from jacksonville to tallahassee - the whole way listening to music; they sat in the front seats afterward and said that though the bass was slightly louder in the back that they had no problems hearing everything with perfect clarity. Seriously, a single set of speakers can inundate your passenger cabin with sound. If you put rears in, you will be listening to a ****ed up stereo image that is excessively delayed in relation to the speakers you've installed up front; you'll need time alignment processing at the very least to make it sound reasonable and even then you will have a feeling that the sound is coming from behind you unless you turn the rears WAY down - which kinda defeats the purpose in the first place (that should tell you that the purpose is a bad one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif). Spend that 75$ on better fronts/higher power amplifiers and have at it. Your budget probably is too low to really match that treo SSX at full tilt; you need to spend $$$ to match an expensive and powerful sub - particularly if you expect to have those fronts produce

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.