Could someone please tell me what this sh!t is and how it works?

Participant count
  • Participant list

nabissssco
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
seattle
I've got an excelon x590 hu and I've got all the features down but a few. I went into a store that sells the hu I have and the guy didn't know sh!t so here I am.

While playing a cd, or any other source, if you push the volume knob a few times you get these options: bass, mid, treb, bal, fad, etx etc...

If you select the mid for instance and hold the volume button down for a sec you come to another setup screen that says the following.

Mid F 1.0k

I can go from .5k to 2 k in .5 adjustments. If I click the volume button again I have this screen.

Mid Q 1.0

I can only do 1 Q or 2.

Its a lil diff for bass and treb but overall the same. What is this stuff and how does it work?

I'm not a newb but nobody could ever give me an answer so how can I know. Thanks foe any help.

Mid Frequency

.5k will sound deeper and 2k will have a higher pitch to it. Almost making it like a tweeter.

Thats the best answer I can give you, Im sure theres better terms. But all in all thats basically what it is. Play with it a bit until you find the sound you like.

The Mid Q dont really do much. IIRC, when I messed with it, it made it a lil louder. Not sure exactly what it does but Im sure to a more experienced SQ guru its gold but not to us simple people.

Cool, thanks. I was told to lower everything as low as possible or else I will be missing some sound. I think the guy who said that was thinking about the xover correct?

No hell no, would sound like **** IMO. lol

Just play with the settings until you like what you hear. You will be able to hear different sounds more than others. Theres no certain way to set it as it will all sound different with different vehicles and different music. Just your preference man //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

They are controls for the parametric EQ. Mid F is controlling the center frequency for the mid EQ band and Mid Q is controlling the width of the frequencies that being controlled. The smaller the Q the smaller the width, so a .5 might be the same as a single control on a 1/3 oct EQ whereas a Q of 5 might span 2 octaves. Do a google search for parametric equalizer for a more indepth explanation.

That is why I have an Alpine CDA-9887 with Imprint...I could set the parametric equalizer myself and mess with all the Q's and octaves and time corrections...which would probably end up sounding like crap and taking me days or weeks of messing around or I could plug my Imprint unit into the HU, connect the mic, fire up the laptop and let the software handle it. Done. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.