Components in my doors.. and wiring questions and stuff...

Gearstix
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I'm trying to give myself an excuse to fiberglass something on my truck, as I want to learn to do that and have been want'in to learn for a while..

This is what my doors look like. I have cleaned them since this photo was taken, these pics are from when I got the truck.

94Sonoma22L012.jpg

I'm thinking of doing two sets of two way 6.5 components in each door, for a total of 4 midbasses, 4 tweeters.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7294_P...d+RSd+65cs.html

I'm not sure where I will put them, I don't want to utilize the oem location.

As for what component sets I will use, I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards PGs RSd 6.5s.

However what I don't understand is how to set it up. I'm pretty sure I need a 4 channel amp, but after that I don't understand.

I don't understand how I'd wire each door to get a certain ohm load, or is this possible at all?

I'm going to read up on fiberglassforums I think it is..

its just the speaker wiring and stuff that confuses me. I know some amps say stuff like 65W @ 4 ohm and 80W @ 2 ohm... would it be possible to wire each side to a lower ohm like you can with subs, so I can get more out of an amp??

I've never used anything more than my oem speakers in my doors in my old car and aftermarket 6x9s in the back.

I'd search but I don't really know exactly what to search for..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I'd be interested in the same information as the OP about ohm loading and such on front speakers. I'm keeping it simple right now with 4 speakers on a four channel amp (two factory tweeters as well but they are running straight from the head unit.)

right, sorry I didn't thoroughly read your initial post (footballs dominating my attention). So you are really looking at wiring. Yes you can wire in series or parallel, this will effect the load the amp see's for sure. I suggest you check out http://www.bcae1.com/
Either way if you run in series you are going to need an amp capable of powering 100+ @ 4ohm.

If you run in parallel you will be running at lower impertinences which will in most cases put a greater strain on the amp.

(this is assuming they are DVC, which I'm not 100% sure of, but I'm assuming they are)

I would double check my information, but I'm pretty sure that's what the site is telling me, you can interpret for yourself.

I'm planning on running 2 13tw5's off a jl 1000.1 (3ohm each). Wiring them in series will show the amp a 3ohm load. Pushing about 500 to each woofer

On another note, what does your center console look like, you could put speakers anywhere, so if you are looking at tackling a fiberglass product get creative and explore all of your options, you could do 1 woofer on each door and 1 woofer on each inner side of your console, possibilities are endless really

I will have a separate amp for my subs........

Right but weren't you looking at 2 sets of comps up front?? Were you planning on 1 4channel for that? or were you planning on having rear fill as well. If so you will need an additional amp or you'll want to wire in series or parallel

Right but weren't you looking at 2 sets of comps up front?? Where you planning on 1 4channel for that? or were you planning on having rear fill as well. If so you will need an additional amp or you'll want to wire in series or parallel
I'm in a regular cab truck, I have no rear fill.

I just want something better than stock. I'm not looking for audiophile sound...

I just don't understand how you'd wire it with the crossovers and stuff...

I'll take a look at bcae1.

I'm in a regular cab truck, I have no rear fill.
I just want something better than stock. I'm not looking for audiophile sound...

I just don't understand how you'd wire it with the crossovers and stuff...

I'll take a look at bcae1.

4channel amp would definitely suffice (running passive). each set of comps would take 2 channels.

basically on crossovers you install those directly to the amp then connect the speakers to the other end

amp>speakerwire>crossover>connect tweeter + midwoofer connection

pretty simple, the xover comes at the end of the speaker wire, the other end of the xover will have the tweeter + 6.5 wiring which is obviously connected to the appropriate speaker

wiring this way your amp would see the 4ohms, no change in impedance so youd probably want to look for a 75wx4 @4ohm or something similar, a little headroom never hurts

im doing the same thing.

i used to have 1 set of crystal sscs6 (components) + ppi dcx 300.2 amplifier

i bought another set of sscs6 components but dont want to buy another amp.

so i tested it.

i put 2 components on 1 channel (down to 2ohm) and everything seemed fine. ive been playing music loud (not that i like it loud just to test), i couldnt really hear any difference in quality either. amp didnt go into protect (my amp has like 3 or 4 protection modes).

im going to plug the other set in, seems to be good. just dont over push the amp.

In a regular cab truck 1 set of components with a sub behind the seat should be plenty. Just my opinion.

the RSDs are supposedly pretty good. decent price from sonic. can be had on ebay for 10 bucks less if you want to shop around.

As noted above, install and wiring is easy, nothing fancy.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.