Clipping levels

Participant count
  • Participant list

Oraclem19

Senior VIP Member
From what I haven been able to see the amps that are CEA compliant or are renound for their quality have less of a problem providing rated near clean power.

I don't have the resources to test this, and have already seen a few brands of amps go through my car. Just recently did the upgrade to a USAmps MD2D from PA(one of each, Planet, and Power), as well as considering MMATS as well as a few others like SA for a step up upgrade to break 2k watts.

Question is, I have no resource to an oscope, and for general amp testing purposes would not like to rent a DD-1 everytime I want to test a sub/amp/combo and can not afford to purchase one at this time.

Would it be safe to say that these higher quality amps can push-defy the 2/3 gain clipping start rule?

As of today trying to run a 1k sub off the MD2D with dual d4. Rated power is rated at 12 and 14.4 @ 4 ohms however @ 2 ohms the 1000rms rating does not state 12 or 14.4.

I do wish I could follow the adjust until you hear clipping rule, but there are still a few objects like dome lights and a few WIP parts in the back deck that vibrate at certain volumes, particularly right around clipping. Picking up another clamp meter soon to try to test rms but not sure how accurate that is compared to TrueRMS, and know that it does nothing for measuring clipping.

Any help here would help a noob coming from 6x9s, Planet Audio, Power Acoustik, and thinking kicker 6.5s were the **** on an NS-420 Diesel Audio amp, then thinking a cheapo set of Pioneer 6x9s in boxes were the ****, going on to try to learn the ins and outs of transmission lines, 4th order and 6th orders, strapping, and the beginning of custom subs.

[Just allow me to be an *** for a moment and say yes I realize this entire problem could be fixed and electronically perfect with a device that unfortunately costs my paycheck, DDCC alike]

Without a scope there's no real way to know. Battery voltage makes a difference even with reputable brands. My Boston amp doesn't do rated power at 13.8V and I have no control over alternator output so it is what it is.

Adjust to rated power with an ac voltmeter (DMM) with engine running and don't play full tilt on battery power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.