Choosing speakers for this particular setup

Participant count
  • Participant list

fgmmgf

DR
Hello,

I have a Toyota Corolla 1996 and I'm looking to upgrade my stock system. I already got a Pioneer DEH-3200UB head unit installed but i'm still using my stock speakers.

I've been reading on here and other sites and have decided to get the speakers now, and an amp to drive them properly later (couple of months after i get the speakers hopefully).

I read the car uses 4" speakers in the front doors and 6.5" speakers on the back, but I also noticed that the previous owner of the car drilled what seem to be 6x9" holes between the two 6.5" holes in the back.

The person that installed the head unit said I could get 6.5" speakers for the front and he'd make them fit (dunno how though, I'm kinda hesitant on this) and also told me to get 6x9" for the holes in the middle of the rear deck.

So after all this, my questions are: what speakers would you recommend? I listen to all kinds of music (loud enough so I can enjoy it inside the car without people being able to listen much outside), from heavy music (metalcore and stuff) to rap and latin music, and I like bass, not earthshaking trunk rattling bass, but some nice bass to be able to feel the drumkicks a bit, I have read that after driving the speakers with a 4 channel amp I can get that effect without getting a sub in the trunk.

Also, should I get 6.5 speakers for the front? or should i stick to 4"? and for the back, does having the speakers a little too close together is a problem?

To get the effects mentioned above, do I need an amp? If so, what amps would you recommend?

Thanks in advance //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You can't replace the gift that is bass that a subwoofer produces. I recommend saving up some money and grabbing two 8's ported or a decent 10 sealed reaching 300-500rms. as for the speakers and amp: name a price and this site has thousands of selections in the classifieds. also, i'd do more research on the whole aftermarket speaker size thing, i've heard it works but you might as well make sure. would be a lot easier to find good 6.5's instead of 4's tho, even more then finding good 6x9's.

For the 6.5's I'm looking at these speakers:

Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch, 180-Watt High PerformanceTwo-Way Loudspeaker (Pair): Electronics

Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-G1643R 6.5-Inch 2-Way Speakers: Electronics

Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Silver): Electronics

My budget is around $60 for the fronts, which one should I get? I see the pioneers are cheaper but the RMS rating is lower than the other two.. dunno if that would be a problem when i get the amp (most amps i see are rated 50w+ RMS).

I've done some more reading and decided to get the 6.5's for the front, some $60-70 6x9 for the rear and a couple months later a 4 channel amp. Then I might follow your suggestion of getting a sub and power it bridging the amp's two rear channels and leaving the rear speakers powered by the head unit.

What do you think of this setup? Also what 4 channel amp would you recommend for those speakers I mentioned? I don't want to spend more than $180-200 for it.

Hi,

After doing a lot of reading, I've changed my mind about my setup.

I've decided to get a a pair of 5.25" components for the front, leave the rear speakers alone and get a single 10inch subwoofer

So far I've looked into these parts:

For the component set, I'd like to spend no more than $150 if possible: Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB5251 5.25-Inch 2-Way Component System (Single, Silver): LiveSpan

Amp ($100-200): Amazon.com: Alpine MRP-F300 - Amplifier - V-Power - 4-channel: Electronics

Sub, since the amp gives me 150w rms bridged at 4ohms, I've looked into these:

Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Punch P1 P1S410 10-Inch 150-Watt Subwoofer - 4 Ohm: Electronics

Amazon.com: JL AUDIO 10W0V2-4 10" SUBWOOFER 300 WATTS: AUDIOSOURCE

What do you think? The speakers say they can take 100w RMS, would it be a problem if I run them with the 50w the amp provides? also would a 150 rms 10" sub be enough for my listening habits described in the first post?

Thanks in advance

The MRV amp should be sufficient for your needs. But, this should work as well. Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R300-4 300 Watt Multi Channel Amplifier: Electronics

As far as the sub, I would get a sub that has greater sensitivity. The Rockford sub shows 85db sens. You want someting with 91db, or greater. I don't know your level of expertise, so I'm going to try to be basic, here. A sub that is 91 db efficient is going to be 6 db louder than the same sized sub at 85 db efficiency, given the same applied power/same impedance. So, a sub like this P1022 - JBL Power 10" 1200 Watt Dual-Voice Coil Subwoofer should be able to play 11 db louder, or said another way; as loud as the Rockford, but only using around 12 watts to do it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.