chaaaaaaaaarge!

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have a batcap 800 in my trunk that i've never charged. should i be charging it periodically? also can i use the 12v battery charger i already have or do i need the one batcap makes?
I would suggest an agm charger on about 10amps... Thats what i use for my XS. I only do this if its been sitting for a while

You should find out what the rated charging voltage is on the batcap and follow that

I would suggest an agm charger on about 10amps... Thats what i use for my XS. I only do this if its been sitting for a while
You should find out what the rated charging voltage is on the batcap and follow that
so if its been in my daily driven car, no need to charge it? and also, when i charge it, i need to unhook my amps first, right? or does it matter?

so if its been in my daily driven car, no need to charge it? and also, when i charge it, i need to unhook my amps first, right? or does it matter?
hmmmm... Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think you do. The amp is shut off therefor not demanding current so the battery is being charged either way.

And yes... even if you drive it everyday your battery can still run low from a lot of demand that the alt cant keep up with. if it starts to drop below 12.4 then a good charge might be in order

hmmmm... Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I dont think you do. The amp is shut off therefor not demanding current so the battery is being charged either way.

And yes... even if you drive it everyday your battery can still run low from a lot of demand that the alt cant keep up with. if it starts to drop below 12.4 then a good charge might be in order
ok, so yea, i probably should charge it....now all i need to know is can i use this 12v battery charger i have. or if i have to buy a different one. i use it for the 12v battery that powers my golf cart sound system. so i think it should be ok but any help is appreciated.....

and do i need to unhook the amps?

ok, so yea, i probably should charge it....now all i need to know is can i use this 12v battery charger i have. or if i have to buy a different one. i use it for the 12v battery that powers my golf cart sound system. so i think it should be ok but any help is appreciated.....
and do i need to unhook the amps?
I'd unhook the amps just to be safe unless someone else knows better. I'm still getting my feet wet when it comes to electrical.

hook up the charger and see what its charging at via DMM. Check the Batcap website to see what the recommended charging voltage is. if its not higher then what your charger is producing then you should be fine. You also have to take into account the current. Make sure your no thitting it with a massive current charge as agm's are not suppose to be charged fast like that.

just looked at the charger and it has a setting for agm batteries so i know that part should be fine.

since the battery is a 12v battery, im assuming i charge it till it levels at 12v correct? or should i go by the percentage setting on the charger?

and no you dont need to unhook your amps to charge your batts in the car. i charge mine every other week with everything still hooked up to the car

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

just looked at the charger and it has a setting for agm batteries so i know that part should be fine.
since the battery is a 12v battery, im assuming i charge it till it levels at 12v correct? or should i go by the percentage setting on the charger?
yes charge at 12v.

thanks bro, so since my trunk battery is only 12v does that mean my amps are only getting 12 volts?

because i was seeing around 13.2 before I added the battery. now i have no way of seeing what my voltage is.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Wait, is this battery in your trunk not hooked up to the alt?
yes, it is hooked to my alt....i think.....i know its wired from the front idk if from my battery in my hood or to alt (didnt hook it up myself)

thanks bro, so since my trunk battery is only 12v does that mean my amps are only getting 12 volts?
because i was seeing around 13.2 before I added the battery. now i have no way of seeing what my voltage is.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

yes, it is hooked to my alt....i think.....i know its wired from the front idk if from my battery in my hood or to alt (didnt hook it up myself)
yes its hooked up to your alt if its wire in parallel with your front battery. a common misconception is that a alt charges your battery which it doesnt.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Why So Cereal?

5,000+ posts
Invisible Cereal
Why So Cereal?
Drowning in milk
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date