CDT Euros tweets strange on certain tracks

carter1010
10+ year member

I have some CDT 6.5 Eurosports. The tweeters have begun to sound sorta strange but only on certain tracks. They seem to exhibit a bit of a harsh crackling, almost sound clipped in a way, but they do it at any volume with the gain of my amp set so they are only getting about 30 watts max each out of a 2x100 watt amp. Could they be underpowered? I have my front stage down so my subs sound good in the mix. I was thinking blown tweeter or crossover but typically if they blow, don't they stop working?

thanks for any incite.

set gains with ears.

if you have your mids' gain set to a good level, then set your tweets to match it.

start with tweets' gains at its lowest point, then raise until its balance w/ the mids.

Is your set up Passive or Active???

I see that you have a Alpine pdx 400.4.

I had those tweeters, running Active & Passive.

Active-sounded really open & airy without being to harsh.

Passive- which xover are you useing from cdt??

I also had problems with the 560xover which to me sounded harsh like that crackling sound you maybe hearing.

When you blow a tweeter usually they stop working/no sound.

If you are Active do as James Bang suggest,maybe its your tuning.

It you are Passive maybe you look into another tweeter or try running active,look at Madisound or Partsexpress

I am using a passive x over, the ES 200 X over that came with the set. I was wondering if it was maybe ground modulation. Any particular passive crossover recommendation, or I could get an active crossover, take my amplifier out of bridged mod and biamp them if thats a better idea, although I am broke as hell right now.

Strange sound can come from the track itself, i.e. you hearing things in the recording you didn't hear before.

Strange sound ("this sounds weird/off") typically comes from an unbalanced frequency response and/or unbalanced x-over balance between tweeter and mid. EQing is almost always needed to some extent.

Crackling and popping can point to a loose connection somewhere or a short of a power wire to the chassis.

Hey Carter1010,

your headunit is a mp3 player?? IDA X100??

Do you have the Imprint Processor as well??

hey on you headunit where do you have you speakers xover @?? 80-100hz??

On you amp are you useing the xover as well???

if so you may want to use only the headunit xover & turn off the amps xover.

Do you have the loudness on? not sure if that unit has one!

Do you have any other tweeters that you can test to see if the xover is bad??

I think its more of that xover & if it is cdt will warranty it for you.

Cdt Audio Customer service is really good.

If all fails you could go active, but you may have to buy a external xover since your unit isnt made for an active setup.

thanks to all for your input. to answer some questions:

Yes the IdA is MP3, however it did this when I had my Eclipse as well and that was using CD media.

the crossovers are in the doors, however they are mounted on the inner skin to the carpet at the bottom of the door.

mids X over at 80 hz and up

no X over on amp at all, bypassed.

no loudness button, no other tweets to test either.

HU does have active 3 way with imprint, which i am considering trying, alot of work for a test though.

I was suspecting ground modulation, however I turned off the sub from the deck and it did the same thing.

I think the tweeter is scorched, but I will be doing more testing tomorrow.

try active then,

which cdt tweeters do you have? DRT25 or DRT26 or ES01?

I own the DRT25 & ES01

DRT25 are very harsh for a soft dome tweeters,which i didnt like.

ES01 are a lot smoother,Vifa based Tweeter, I did like this tweeter.

If you go active & you still have problems with your tweeters, you might want to look at another companies brand of tweeters, like SEAS,Peerless,HIVI,etc.....

I have the DRT 25's. Since it is only happening on one side, I have decided its the tweeter or the crossover. the crackling sound happens on high bass notes at certain frequencies. I think the crossover is allowing some lower frequencies through and has at this point probably damaged my tweeter. Can a tweeter be damaged but still function?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.