cd player help with mercury sable

Participant count
  • Participant list

Twistid
5,000+ posts

im trying to get to the rear of my cd player but i cant figure out how to pull it out, from what i can tell there should only be 2 screws on the top holding in the dash kit , i removed those and its still cliped on somehow from the bottom ... any help? i tried to google it but i found nothing, im trying to get my **** bumpin before i head back to campus soooo some quick help would be appreciated

heres a picture i took to show you all the problem

you see the 2 screws at the top of the black thin around the cd player? i removed those and thats all that should be holding it in place but it still wont come out

p1010030jl3.jpg

Is there 2 holes in the dash plate on each side of the radio? Maybe those holes on each side of the coin and cup holders? My car has like an oval piece that holds the radio and has the heat & A/C controls on it too. That is how my '97 Taurus is designed, and the Taurus and Sable are exactly the same car, for the most part anyway.

If there is the 2 holes(one above the other, so they are positioned in a straight line vertically. Know what I mean?) on each side, you have to make or buy a tool. I made mine out of a metal coat hanger. You make it into a U shape, so it slides into both holes on the 1 side at the same time. I filed little notches about 1/4" or less from the end of all 4 ends but I dont really think its necessary. Anyway, you slide these into both sides (all 4 holes) at the same time, and the whole oval dash piece pops out. When you slide it in, it will release the clips. You'll feel/see it happen as you push them in. You may have to play with it a little, adjusting the position/depth they are pushed in.

Just make sure that the long straight sides of each U are at least 2 1/2 - 3" long.

Are you trying to pull the deck out? If so, pull off the trim plate around the deck and get the proper keys for your deck.. Or you can make something out of two flat pieces of metal.. Slide them in the sides of your deck and it will pop out.. I've used thin steak knives in a pinch..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.