Budget Sub to complement my 6.5" Component Speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

singleton
10+ year member

Bath, NC
First off - I am new to all this, but have posted a thread (http://www.caraudio.com/forums/speakers/540187-6-5-comp-set-amp-suggestion-%24300-%24400-budget.html) under the speakers section to determine my speakers, now I think that I am going to go ahead and get the sub as well. I understand that my budget is going to have to go up to hopefully no more than $500.

I listen to mainly classic rock and 90's alt rock -not much hip hop or rock - so I am not really looking for a lot of bass but instead a nice clean sound, but I figured my setup might sound a little incomplete if I was to only replace my front speakers with a nice component set coupled with an amp. Am I wrong to think this given my needs for music? If so please tell me because I would love to save the money and pick up a sub in the future.

If I was to go the sub route (and again I do not need anything fancy, just something to complement my compenent system) then what about this setup:

Component speakers: Massive Audio CK6V ($170)

Amplifier: Massive Audio NX4 ($170)

Sub: Polk Audio db1040 ($70)

Sealed Box: Single 10" Sealed MDF Enclosure (10SQTC) ($20)

Wiring Kit: Kolossus Fleks 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit ($74 w/ S/H)

Coupon: onlinecarstereo (-$15)

Total approximately $500

I did have the Boston Acoustics GT-2125 ($130) selected for my amp when I was just going to run the component speakers but if I was going to add a sub I figured I could bridge two channels for the sub and then use the other two for the component speakers (can this be done on this amp?).

The other sub I was considering possibly instead of the Polk would be: Boston Acoustics G110-44 ($63)

Any input?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.