Box Designs for SQ Shiva?

SpeeDFX
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey people, I'm going to be putting 2 shivas in my 94 accord, powered by a JBL BP1200.1 amp. I am really all about the sound quality, and I need to know what kind of boxes I should make. If making a ported box will make them sound louder, but decrease their sound Q just a hair, then I'll go with a sealed box because 2 shivas powered with this amp SHOULD be pretty loud already, right? Besides what KIND of boxes I need to make, I also need a good recommendation of the volume of the inside of the boxes that best suits SQ listening, but without flatenning out the bass ( a sealed box that is TOO big will kill teh bass, right?). I'm new to all the car audio technical jargon so sorry if I'm leaving out important information or anything like that.

Ok, thanks a lot man //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. I also have another question, I was about to start building the box today and I realized that I have to wire the subs... How do people usually go about building the box with the wiring etc...?

I have a pair of shivas, they are in a 5.4 net common enclosure with 41 sq in of port 30" long, this yields a tuning of about 26 Hz. The sound quality is very good. The bass is very very transient and deep. However, it tends to peak a lot at 40-50Hz. So, don't go thinking that just because it's ported you will lose sound quality. The peak makes the bass sound very phat and nice and powerful and deep. Just thought I'd give alittle imput.

thats 5.4 square feet inside the box? I also dont understand what the difference in the sound will be if i use a ported box as opposed to a sealed one

sometimes with ported enclosures you dont get quite the punchiness that you get with a sealed enclosure, and depending on how you port it, it might not get as low either.. however thats not always true. If you've ever heard a ported sub compared to a sealed sub youd notice that ported subs tend to peak at certain frequencies a (i think between 40-60 hz usually) and thats a range which is real common for a bass line.. thus in that range you will get great frequency responce, (and can get much louder than in a sealed enclosure) but at other frequencies above and below that, ported tends to roll off a bit steeper i believe.. This is just what i've inferred, so dont take my word for everything.. i think i'm at least 1/2 accurate about that. Some people tend to like the sound of ported enclosures better than sealed.. It just depends for me. I'd say if you get a big sealed enclosure you will get nice frequency responce and a good amount of spl. That amp might be pushing your subs though.. they are rated at i think 650wrms max but thats in a small enclosure.. Just dont put your gains too high and you should be alright.. I'd recommend 1.5-2.0 sealed per chamber. If you are going to port put them in 4-6cf total and tune at or below 28hz, and make sure to use a subsonic filter to limit excursion below tuning frequency.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.