Box Design Help/Input Appreciated

Participant count
  • Participant list

Friskey

Hey all,

I've spent quite some time designing many different types of ported boxes for an IDQ12v4.

Looking at the manufacturers specs I found on the internet says..

Gross Volume - 2 cu. Ft

Port Tune - 30 HZ

Slot Length - 23.45

Slot Opening 12x1.5

I'm looking at these specs primarily for my design

I would like to design a box that is kerfed on the back end and maybe on the front side as well, although not necessary I like to play around a bit. I would just like some input from you guys. I primarily listen to rap and this will be going in my Sante Fe.

Am I missing something? In this design I didn't put in the 45 degree corner pieces.. Any input is appreciated. I would also like to add to my design a support brace somewhere. What do you guys think?

Its late, my mind is fried.. Any info appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The audiophile recs are for 2 net, not gross. 30 tuning is very low unless you listen to decaf, slowed or chopped tracks. I've found that 1.75-2 net with 35 tuning is very good overall with these drivers.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

The audiophile recs are for 2 net, not gross. 30 tuning is very low unless you listen to decaf, slowed or chopped tracks. I've found that 1.75-2 net with 35 tuning is very good overall with these drivers.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the feedback. I guess I read the volume requirements the wrong way on the sheet and mistook Port Volume Gross for Gross Volume of the entire Box.

I did want to make a bigger box. However I just have one concern. With the bigger box my Port Length and Opening will be quite a bit different. Just sketching something up my new Port Length would be 36" and Port Slot 2.75". This is quite bigger than the manufacturer's requirements of 24" and 1.5" respectively.

I don't want to make a box that too big for the speaker, am I looking into these dimensions too much? Basically what I'm asking is it okay to stretch the Port Length and Port Slot to meet the tuning of the box? Also a Port Radio of 1:4.5 acceptable?

Thanks for the help!

Not sure what your box height is, but 2.75 port width seems excessive imo. Shoot for 2 net cubes with 30-32 sqin of port area.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Okay came up with a box..

17(H)x25(W)x14(D)

2 Inch Port, 31 Squar Inch, Net Volume 2.02, 34HZ Tuned. Port Ratio 1:7.75

Go higher numbers to account for the kerf that isn't account for.. What do ya think?

Okay came up with a box..
17(H)x25(W)x14(D)

2 Inch Port, 31 Squar Inch, Net Volume 2.02, 34HZ Tuned. Port Ratio 1:7.75

Go higher numbers to account for the kerf that isn't account for.. What do ya think?
Specs look good. With a kerf, the effective port length ends at the center of the kerf radius so take that into account.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.