Both amps on only one sub works...

Participant count
  • Participant list

BMW97_2015

CarAudio.com Newbie
Im pretty new to car audio but i did an install of subs a few years back but then sold my car so i pulled the subs out and decided to hook them in my new car. My new car does not have preamp outputs on them and i do not plan on replacing the head unit. Im running 2 rockford P3s both of which have there own monoblocks (r500x1d) The amps both have high level speaker inputs. I spliced into the rear speakers and hooked the connected into the high level slot. Now the sub with the input is playing loud and clear however i am running RCA thru the pass thru and into the input on my other amp but no audio is produced. Put amps have the same power and remote wires hooked up. Both lights are on on the amps just no audio from the other sub. Do i need to run a high level input into the other amp as well? (side note: the RCA cables are putting out 0.11Vs from the first amp. Wondering if there just isnt enough power?) thanks for any responses.

I don't believe that the pass thru actually feeds from the high voltage input, it only feeds as a direct continuous connection from what the RCA inputs are. I believe the intention of Rockford was to splice them, but I could be wrong as I'm no expert with pass throughs and high level inputs. I would personally prefer spliced though, since high level is less susceptible to feedback noise.

Edit: See https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/B1nbNGFBumS.pdf

On page 3 the description for the pass-thru only lists RCA. I believe they would mention high level outputs if it was possible, as that would be a feature that would also be convenient.

I don't believe that the pass thru actually feeds from the high voltage input, it only feeds as a direct continuous connection from what the RCA inputs are. I believe the intention of Rockford was to splice them, but I could be wrong as I'm no expert with pass throughs and high level inputs. I would personally prefer spliced though, since high level is less susceptible to feedback noise.

Edit: See https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/B1nbNGFBumS.pdf

On page 3 the description for the pass-thru only lists RCA. I believe they would mention high level outputs if it was possible, as that would be a feature that would also be convenient.
So i would probably be better off purchasing another high level input harness and splicing from my existing wires into the other amp?

So i would probably be better off purchasing another high level input harness and splicing from my existing wires into the other amp?

I believe that's the best course of action. Use heatshrink on the splice points and don't use any of those junky taps that pierce through the insulation, use a crimp or plug with heatshrink as relief for bending and it should give you little to no issues for a few years. Also underneath the crimp don't twist the wires if you can avoid it, the crimp will get better grip if the strands are straight and you won't need as much strain relief to avoid severing individual strands.

I believe that's the best course of action. Use heatshrink on the splice points and don't use any of those junky taps that pierce through the insulation, use a crimp or plug with heatshrink as relief for bending and it should give you little to no issues for a few years. Also underneath the crimp don't twist the wires if you can avoid it, the crimp will get better grip if the strands are straight and you won't need as much strain relief to avoid severing individual strands.
Okay thanks! Ill try it out and let you know

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.