Bose System

iver729
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I am buying a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi this week. It has a factory Bose System installed in it and it *****. I don't think I'll be able to deal with it long. Problem is, it looks like a lot of other options in the car run through the factory head unit. I have read some things about the JL Cleansweep, RF 3Sixty and such, but don't fully understand the concept. I basically want to replace and amp the speakers in the car, add my sub and amp, all while keeping the factory head unit and the steering wheel functions. Would a Cleansweep or 3Sixty allow me to do this? If so, how the hell does it work?

I have a 2001 Bonne and have opted to keep the head unit. I feel it is safer to do this and simply replace everything else rather than trying to interface a new unit with the mish-mash (On Star, steering controls, etc.)

You can get the adapters for interfacing everything with a new head unit, but I *think* the prices on them are up there...

I really don't want to mess with the factory HU. What is involved in installing a 3Sixty or similar? Also, if I find I only want to add my sub, is there a cheaper alternative?

iver, the factory bose system has a certain amount of processing built into it. for instance, it will lower your bass response at higher volumes, and boost it at lower volumes, etc. in most install applications in the past, we would just add a cheap high - low level converter, and plug into the aftermarket amp. the problem is that would just introduce that same processing into your new system.

with the cleansweep, it accepts a high or low level input, diagnoses the factory processing and equalization (done through putting a cd in the factory cd player), and outputs the signal through a clean, balanced, 8 volt output to your amps.

it works absolutely amazing, but one caveat is that you would need to use the supplied volume know, which can be installed somewhere convenient in the dash. all your steering wheel controls would still be utilized (aside from the volume).

i've never used RF's, but i would assume it's similar.

Thanks for the help... So how does a cleansweep or similar connect to the factory system? Seeing as it is a bose system, would I be able to splice into the factory wiring just before the bose amp and still have the bose amp power all the speakers? Also, is a seperate ground, power and remote wire required for the loc?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.