Blew out a JL 12w7 first day of purchase with a JL 1000/1 amp...how did this happen?

not really its the fact that jl is overpriced period, thats at least my biggest point
and jl probably wont fix it for free the shop will most likely eat the cost but it wont be free
Something being over priced is a relative statement that really only matters to the purchaser and their view of value.....do I think the W7 is over priced....Yes! Did the OP....NO....so be it. As far as the shop having to eat the cost of replacing the sub....you bet ur azz they should have to if JL doesn't cover it PROVIDED that once the install that THEY preformed WASN'T TAMPERED WITH by the OP!!!!!!!!!!! If any part of that installed failed due to a mistake they made during the installation then by all means they are responsible....

we should just save this thread to show everyone jl is overpriced and clearly not as great as everyone says.

1000w rms sub and 1000w rms amp gain at 1/4 and it burnt the coil?

i was just talking about 1 sub but their a plenty of 2 sub combos out their for 900 and the XCONS are a great choice
I wouldn't spend $900 on just one sub. So there. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You need to go back to the shop, get your money back if you can, and find another shop. Or learn to install it yourself, not that hard, and do it yourself. Next time, get online and research the sh it outta products and reviews of them and then make a decision... Unfortunately for you, it looks like a lesson learned the hard way.

i will check the gain per the tutorial listed on this site. also, there is a 9 step guide that came with the 1000/1 amp for how to set up the gain. however, how much of this problem can be attributed to the break in period of the sub. did i simply play them too loud before the sub was broken in properly? when i receive the replacement sub, after playing on low volume and breaking them in, can i play the sub loud (2/3 of head unit volume) without having to worry about blowing the voice coils or sub again?

the bright side is that you still have the amp. you could keep it and get a new sub. or sell it for a high price and get a new setup thats even better.

dont listen to me though i am still bumpin a w6 thats 7yrs old on 500 just as old. These guys are right though jl is expensive

OP, I'd ignor most of the responses in this thread, which you probably are anyway....

To answer your question, the sub didn't blow because it wasn't broken in properly, so don't worry about that.... as far as why the sub blew, it shouldn't have... but without looking at the sub and install no one here can say what happened... there is a good chance it was a defective sub... either shorting lead wires or a bad coil...

Let the shop take care of you, that is why people go to a brick and mortor shop... They sell it, install it, and if something goes wrong they are supposed to make it right... The buy online sack riders posting in this thread seem to miss the point that not everyone wants to DIY and may also want some face to face customer service...

Once the shop gets you a new sub, have them put it in and play the system before giving it back to you... If there is any doubt things are not setup properly you might want to take it by another shop to take a look, or call and talk to JLs tech support... If by chance everything is setup where it should be, and you cook another sub, there may be a possibility something is wrong with the amplifier...

Hope you get it sorted out..

The 'blown' sub had nothing to do with break in. I've ran W7's in the past and had them cranked within minutes of screwing them in.

I'd bet the speaker was either defective right from the factory or possibly damaged before or during the install.

^ yea no break in time needed very soft spider.

jl dosent warrenty burnt coils but the shop needs to warrenty it. if they try to charge you call jl right there on ur cell and tell them the problem...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.