Best 10" subs 5.25" mounting depth.

Participant count
  • Participant list

de8212
10+ year member

georgia
I may buy a pre-made sub box online or get the local shop to build one but the maximum mounting depth of the box online is 5.25". Here is a link to the box.

Ram Box

Here is a "slim" 10" the local shop suggests.

RF Slim 10"

I don't see a whole lot of people running RF subs so I looked at RE sub specs. The RE SE 10" shows 5.25 but I'm not sure if that would literally be flush with the back of the box. Doesn't there need to be a little room behind the magnet?

And the optimal enclosure shows .5 but I am thinking the box is .7.

Only other issue is the pre-fab box has the subs firing downwards. I would think that would make the bass "rumble"more where as I would like it tight. Not sure if I am correct though.

Any other suggestions?

well your going with a sealed enclosure wich on most occasions will give you a nice tight response. one way to help you get good tight response is feed it a good clean signal with a good amount of unclipped power. now look for drivers that are sq oriented, with all factors taken in to consideration you will get what your looking for. if going for sq as stated then dont go with the rf drivers imo! head towards jl if you have the cash or if on a budget try the kenwood shallow mounts they arent half bad for the cash and they are more sq oriented

as for the down firing enclosure it will be fine, it wont make that big of a differance but it will help give you better output but if installed properly you will have a great sounding install

thank you for the reply.

SQ is definitely what I want.

It has been years since I've had a JL sub. Looking at their site the only ones that would work is the 10W1V2.

Are they decent compared to the higher up models? Any other brands recommended?

EDIT - And if I went with something like the JL W1 what would be a good clean amp to use?

Since I've been out of the loop forever does JL still not authorize internet sales?

Just wanted to add that I emailed the maker of the box and they said the box is "5/8" wood".

I asked if it was MDF and what the thickness is but they only answered the thickness part of the question.

Wonder if that means it's some cheap plywood?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.