Before I buy it tonight

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
A few weeks ago I completely killed my stock battery. It won't hold a charge anymore. After I get a new battery, I'm starting on my next install. I'm running a visonik v4000xd that uses the same board as the MA audio HK4000d. Here are the rated figures, which I have read are accurate:

Rms Power @ 14.4V DC: 1 x 2500W @ 4 Ohm, 1 x 3500W @ 2 Ohm

Rms Power @ 17V DC: 1 x 3000W @ 4 Ohm, 1 x 4000W @ 2 Ohm

I have $120 of Sonicelectronix in store credit, but can spend more than that. I am pretty set on the XS D1200. I will be upgrading the alt as soon as possible. From stock battery location to amp, it takes less than 5 feet of wire. I have heard this amp does not like low voltage. It was made to run on 16v electrical.

My question is if the battery I chose will be enough for the amp. I'll only be running my Sundown X-10 in a 4 cube box until I upgrade my alternator. This probably won't stress the amp too much. I plan go get some Z4 10's or 12's in a month or so.

The D1200 is about the biggest battery I can fit. If you have any other suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated! Here is a link to the battery and alternator I am planning on buying:

Battery XS Power D1200 12-Volt Deep Cycle AGM Power Cell Battery

Alternator: DB Electrical - ALTERNATOR HIGH OUTPUT 220 Amp 2.8L S10 TRUCK 92 93 & GMC SONOMA

If you know of a cheaper/better alternator that would fit on a 2.5L Pontiac Fiero engine, please let me know!!! Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

A few weeks ago I completely killed my stock battery. It won't hold a charge anymore. After I get a new battery, I'm starting on my next install. I'm running a visonik v4000xd that uses the same board as the MA audio HK4000d. Here are the rated figures, which I have read are accurate:Rms Power @ 14.4V DC: 1 x 2500W @ 4 Ohm, 1 x 3500W @ 2 Ohm

Rms Power @ 17V DC: 1 x 3000W @ 4 Ohm, 1 x 4000W @ 2 Ohm

I have $120 of Sonicelectronix in store credit, but can spend more than that. I am pretty set on the XS D1200. I will be upgrading the alt as soon as possible. From stock battery location to amp, it takes less than 5 feet of wire. I have heard this amp does not like low voltage. It was made to run on 16v electrical.

My question is if the battery I chose will be enough for the amp. I'll only be running my Sundown X-10 in a 4 cube box until I upgrade my alternator. This probably won't stress the amp too much. I plan go get some Z4 10's or 12's in a month or so.

The D1200 is about the biggest battery I can fit. If you have any other suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated! Here is a link to the battery and alternator I am planning on buying:

Battery XS Power D1200 12-Volt Deep Cycle AGM Power Cell Battery

Alternator: DB Electrical - ALTERNATOR HIGH OUTPUT 220 Amp 2.8L S10 TRUCK 92 93 & GMC SONOMA

If you know of a cheaper/better alternator that would fit on a 2.5L Pontiac Fiero engine, please let me know!!! Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I've heard those amps need major power to perform at full potential. Out of curiosity, how much are you paying for it?... you thinking external batteries as well?

I've heard those amps need major power to perform at full potential. Out of curiosity, how much are you paying for it?... you thinking external batteries as well?
How much am I paying for what? I'll pay $86 for the battery. i'm not buying the alt tonight. As far as a battery bank, the only place I can put them is the trunk. It would be about twice as far to this area than my stock battery location. I only have CCA 0 gauge right now and am worried about voltage drop over long wires. I will upgrade the big 3 and all amp wiring to OFC 0 when I get my new alternator. Do you think I need a battery bank? If so, how many of which kind? I am open to suggestions. I could also post pics of my car if that would be helpful.

Ok. The db alt is questionable at best. I had one the regulator went out in 2 months. Sent it back got a new one went bad in a month they said no warranty on the second alt where the website says otherwise. This came from the owner direct. Had it fixed locally and tested. The 220 amp is a. Stock alt with a smaller pulley that's it As far as the battery. Pull the battery tray out you can fit a d3100 in there pretty easy

Ok. The db alt is questionable at best. I had one the regulator went out in 2 months. Sent it back got a new one went bad in a month they said no warranty on the second alt where the website says otherwise. This came from the owner direct. Had it fixed locally and tested. The 220 amp is a. Stock alt with a smaller pulley that's it As far as the battery. Pull the battery tray out you can fit a d3100 in there pretty easy
Wow, thanks. I had to unclip the battery tray once so I could put my truck battery in and drive it home. Any alternatives on the alternator? I only Have 400 to spend on the battery right now (+120 at sonic). At the end of July, money won't be a problem for a new alternator.

Wow, thanks. I had to unclip the battery tray once so I could put my truck battery in and drive it home. Any alternatives on the alternator? I only Have 400 to spend on the battery right now (+120 at sonic). At the end of July, money won't be a problem for a new alternator.
I might have an alt for ya

I might have an alt for ya
That would be awesome! I'll probably PM you in the beginning of August.

As for the D3100, it's going to be a really tight fit. I just took measurements and compared to the battery Specs. Also, will my tiny stock alt be able to charge it in the meantime?

I was asking how much are you paying for that amp... Listen to mylows10 he knows his stuff... I'd say yes to a battery bank if you're going to be slamming this system. Group 31 or 34 batteries I'd suggest. Maybe other people would suggest a different group? But generally with larger systems, people will go with those. Also, increasing 0 gauge from 5 feet to 10 feet shouldn't result in a harmful voltage drop and if needs be, lay down 2 10' runs of + and -... I'm not one to really talk for alternator as I'm running an "average" H/O alternator in my car for now until I get some cash flow, but have you looked at mechman, billet, singer, ohio generator? mylows10 I think is a rep for singer. Maybe he can help?

how you fitting a 4 cube box v4000 and batt in a fiero lol
I removed the spare tire up front, dash, heater, and AC (the AC didn't work anyways). There is a giant hole between the cabin and front trunk. I'm building the box in this space (front trunk and dash area) with an external aeroport. Its a pretty crazy build! I'll post pics after I get the battery and Hook stuff up. There's actually a lot of room after you get the useless stuff out, haha

I was asking how much are you paying for that amp... Listen to mylows10 he knows his stuff... I'd say yes to a battery bank if you're going to be slamming this system. Group 31 or 34 batteries I'd suggest. Maybe other people would suggest a different group? But generally with larger systems, people will go with those. Also, increasing 0 gauge from 5 feet to 10 feet shouldn't result in a harmful voltage drop and if needs be, lay down 2 10' runs of + and -... I'm not one to really talk for alternator as I'm running an "average" H/O alternator in my car for now until I get some cash flow, but have you looked at mechman, billet, singer, ohio generator? mylows10 I think is a rep for singer. Maybe he can help?
I already paid $250 for the amp. I know mylows is an expert, and could hook me up with a Singer alt. I was going to use an XS battery because they have a lower internal resistance than other batteries. Could always add more later.

That would be awesome! I'll probably PM you in the beginning of August.
As for the D3100, it's going to be a really tight fit. I just took measurements and compared to the battery Specs. Also, will my tiny stock alt be able to charge it in the meantime?
If your alt is the same as the db alt link. I have a 250 amp alt. large case tho other than that we can build one

If your alt is the same as the db alt link. I have a 250 amp alt. large case tho other than that we can build one
Alright, cool. I was just searching for alternators that fit on my year Fiero, and the db alt was what I found. I'm pretty sure it would fit, but not certain. The chart on their website did not specify the year. It also said it was originally for a 2.8L S10 engine. I have an 86 with a 2.5L. I think the 87 and 88 fiero's had 2.8L. I know the GT's did for sure.

Alright, cool. I was just searching for alternators that fit on my year Fiero, and the db alt was what I found. I'm pretty sure it would fit, but not certain. The chart on their website did not specify the year. It also said it was originally for a 2.8L S10 engine. I have an 86 with a 2.5L. I think the 87 and 88 fiero's had 2.8L. I know the GT's did for sure.
You can always send me a pic of the stock alt. mounting ears especially bd the area

i would go with a northstar battery over xs. i understand that you have money for sonic electronix. just saying there have been plenty of tests done and the northstar beats the xs d3100 up. its also a much cheaper alternative too. i would go singer for alternators without a doubt. mylows10 can def help you in that department

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.