Bass Cutting Out

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tiger Bass
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
SC
As I was driving back to school tonight, my subwoofer would cut out at any given point when listening to a particular cd. Once it cut out, it wouldn't come back until I turned the headunit off and then back on. There is no way the amp was over heating and I wasn't even close to pounding my music. Not to mention, there isn't even that much bass in the songs on the cd. Like I said, it was only this particular cd that caused this problem. I was listening to all kinds of different cd's before and after this scare without incident.

What the hell was causing this?

I'm pretty it was more like the output significantly dropping, like to the level of my headunit powering my subwoofer. I could hear it, but just barely.

But I'm not 100% sure on the amp going into protect mode because I got it to stop doing this by not playing that one cd and I was not eager to make it do it again.

Bump on this. Not that it really matters because I'm never listening to this cd in my car again, but I really want to know.

Well this one has me stumped.. I would wire a different driver to the amp and see if it still does it. If it does, wire a different amp to it. Then you'll probably be able to diagnose the problem better if you know where it lies. Possibly something gone whacked in the HU itself..?

-Bill-

I might do this when I have a place to do so. Living on campus makes it hard to do things like this.

Eh. I've never had this problem, seen anyone or even read of anyone that has had this happen to them other than yourself. So, trial and error is only advice I can give, unfortunatley. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

-Bill-

I appreciate the help. Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I have news concerning my problem. Turns out it was probably just coincidence that that particular cd was making my bass cut out. It now does it more frequently and turning my headunit off and on does not always make it come back on right away. Also, I have figured that the problem is my amp. It is either, A) Not powering on or B) Going into protection mode. Here is a list of **** about the way I have everything setup:

-Amp is a Kenwood KAC-7201. Manual/Specs here http://manuals.kenwood.novenaweb.info/languages/EN/support/manuals/KAC-7201_7251.pdf

-As I was inspecting my amp, I just realized that there is a switch to change the amp from stereo mode into bridged mode. It has been turned to stereo mode while I have had it wired to bridged mode.

-I forced it to accept 4ga wire by grinding down the sides of a spade terminal. I'm using an 80A AGU fuse.

-Was having problems with a lose ground about 2 weeks ago, but I have since bolted the ground down and it is extremely secure.

-Gains are set moderately, but not with a DMM. Gains are at 2 (See picture at end). Low pass filter is set at about 70Hz. Bass Boost is off.

-Subwoofer is wired at 4ohms. All wiring is correct, secured, and tight.

So the amp can get messed up for running at a higher resistance than meant for? Running at 4ohm instead of 2 in this case?

Perhaps the speaker wired to the wrong negative? In bridged mode, I go with positive left, negative right, but was in stereo mode.

I'll check the remote and ground again tomorrow.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.