any truth to this

eggyhustles
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Bronx, NY
An amp will amplify a signal. While it amplifies the signal, it adds noise. The amount of noise it adds is where you get the s/n ratio. This is in respect to the input signal.Technically you have better sound coming from speakers directly wired to a headunit than a signal that goes from the hu through rcas, to the amp and to the speaker. The longer your wires, the more noise it adds. Why do you think the hu is the most important part? Because if you send a dirty signal to the speakers, or to an amp and amplify it, it is still a dirty signal.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

He's completely missing the concept of dynamic range - that the head unit amplifier is simply not going to be able to meet the current demands cleanly at high volumes.

The longer your wires, the more noise it adds.
Maybe if we're talking about 100-foot unbalanced runs, but even in an electrically noisy environment like a car, noise issues can be controlled to where it's inaudible.

An amp will amplify a signal. While it amplifies the signal, it adds noise. The amount of noise it adds is where you get the s/n ratio. This is in respect to the input signal.Technically you have better sound coming from speakers directly wired to a headunit than a signal that goes from the hu through rcas, to the amp and to the speaker. The longer your wires, the more noise it adds. Why do you think the hu is the most important part? Because if you send a dirty signal to the speakers, or to an amp and amplify it, it is still a dirty signal.
i think that was the point he was trying to make, and it is true. the explanation is just isnt the best

He's completely missing the concept of dynamic range - that the head unit amplifier is simply not going to be able to meet the current demands cleanly at high volumes.

Maybe if we're talking about 100-foot unbalanced runs, but even in an electrically noisy environment like a car, noise issues can be controlled to where it's inaudible.
Figured

he and another member on hondatech were arguing with me that hu power would make speakers sound better than buying an external amp.

mind you, these are from 2 guys running coaxials all around //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Well...if they're not really sure what they're doing, then yes it'll sound better to them if they just use the HU for powering the speakers...

When you use an amp, and high pass the speakers you do seem to lose a good amount of bass...which is why you have component sets with crossovers and midbass, blah blah blah

I don't think the comment was focusing on power but sound quality re: signal strength. Of course an external amp would step up the sound at high volumes but, the better the signal to the amp the better the sound out the speakers. This is why I got my AC Matrix.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

eggyhustles

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
eggyhustles
Bronx, NY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date