any bright ideas?

Foote
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
First off...I know you guys (most of you) dont like caps. But ive decided to get one and already paid for it and want to use it. So ignore the fact that the cap is something you dont like if it is and try to help me with the question please. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Ok--here is the problem:

I got a cap with 1/0 gauge inputs but 4 gauge outs for the power and ground. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I want to run my wire 1/0 gauge through and through as possible. Any suggestions?

I was thinking...maybe run a 1/0 gauge input to the cap...4 gauge out (but a very small strip of wire) to my distribution block. The 4 gauge out from the cap go to the 4 gauge in of the block and the run 1/0 gauge out from the block to the amp? and either just settle for a 4 gauge cap ground...or do the same thing for the ground..which ever is better?

or...is there some better way? Will trimming the wires at the ends for the 4 gauge holes (using 1/0 gauge wire) hurt me a lot? or maybe reducers?

whats best? other ideas?

Thanks.

p.s.

I know that going without the cap is a possibility.....But I really want to use it. Im gonna be running a 1500.1 @ 2 ohms and im not sure if my electrical is up to par. If I go without the cap, ill have full 1/0 kicker power and ground wires..8 awg speaker wire, and good grounds. However, I wont have any extra batterys and all that jazz. 2 of the 3 bigs will be done (neg ground and positive to alt). And front stage battery replaced with a yellow top optima. So...do you think ill be ok as far as electrical goes? I dont mind blinking lights..i just dont want my amp to be starved? Thats why i want the cap so i can use any help i can get....buying bats for the back isnt an option...outa money //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

So let me get this straight, you bought something that is going to be more of a load on your weak electrical rather than saving your money and buying a battery? how much does a wet cell cost? $70? You don't have to have a dry cell battery. Take your cap back.

Just trim it or use reducers
Reducers is what I was thinking about going with...but will it reduce the power supply? And how much?

Also...im not too sure how it works. Looking at it:

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1547191/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046/order/desc/order_by/sell_price/sret/122172141321822322419282223220283224225286219218231290223228231296225224243242229242235240247238235234

it seems the 1/0 goes in the fat end..then i guess i put the skinny end in the hole. But i dont see how it stays in..i mean...how to bolt it down (its allen-skrew hole style)?

I mean... the end just looks like a metal square piece..how will it be secure?

So let me get this straight, you bought something that is going to be more of a load on your weak electrical rather than saving your money and buying a battery? how much does a wet cell cost? $70? You don't have to have a dry cell battery. Take your cap back.
i have a yellow top up front...as far as the battery goes...

i have a yellow top up front...as far as the battery goes...
Well I assumed you had a wet cell. I'd still take the cap back. I will only stabilize your voltage, thats it. Its just another load on the alternator and its not going to increase voltage to the amp for more than a half of a second.

Well I assumed you had a wet cell. I'd still take the cap back. I will only stabilize your voltage, thats it. Its just another load on the alternator and its not going to increase voltage to the amp for more than a half of a second.
increasing voltage for a half a second and stabilized voltage sounds pretty good... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif oh...and just to restate what i said so people see it (got burried by you):

Reducers is what I was thinking about going with...but will it reduce the power supply? And how much?

Also...im not too sure how it works. Looking at it:

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S... 247238235234

it seems the 1/0 goes in the fat end..then i guess i put the skinny end in the hole. But i dont see how it stays in..i mean...how to bolt it down (its allen-skrew hole style)?

increasing voltage for a half a second and stabilized voltage sounds pretty good... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif oh...and just to restate what i said so people see it (got burried by you):
Are you like completely missing the point? Your not making any sense. You want to give your electrical system a useless upgrade (downgrade if you ask anyone else on this forum). I don't think you quite get the idea that caps have more cons than pros? I'm not going to bother explaining how a cap works because its been posted so many times. You asked what people thought, but you choose not to take in what other people have said? Jesus Christ, noob.

Are you like completely missing the point? Your not making any sense. You want to give your electrical system a useless upgrade (downgrade if you ask anyone else on this forum). I don't think you quite get the idea that caps have more cons than pros? I'm not going to bother explaining how a cap works because its been posted so many times. You asked what people thought, but you choose not to take in what other people have said? Jesus Christ, noob.
To quote myself from this very thread:

First off...I know you guys (most of you) dont like caps. But ive decided to get one and already paid for it and want to use it. So ignore the fact that the cap is something you dont like if it is and try to help me with the question please.

I know that going without the cap is a possibility.....But I really want to use it.
And, ive already read a lot of the thing people always say about the negatives of the cap. Still want it, the issue isnt really about rather or not i have it; its about how to get it connected. Please stay on topic; thanks. I only want to use not having it as a last resort.

And, ive already read a lot of the thing people always say about the negatives of the cap. Still want it, the issue isnt really about rather or not i have it; its about how to get it connected. Please stay on topic; thanks. I only want to use not having it as a last resort.
Does it make sense that if you didn't have a cap you wouldn't have these problems? Buy reducers and be done with it.

Does it make sense that if you didn't have a cap you wouldn't have these problems? Buy reducers and be done with it.
Ya..im looking at the reducers...but like i said I dont know how they connect and stay connected solid...

Ya..im looking at the reducers...but like i said I dont know how they connect and stay connected solid...

The cap should have an allen head screw on the 4 gauge output where you screw it down to hold that square piece.

Any reason you couldn't solder the reducer in the terminal prior to installing it, thus making it a permanent part of the cap? That would surely secure it.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.