Amp recommendations

"upgrading" from a single zv5 15 to two xv3 12s. Been running on an SIA 3500d, looking for something reliable north of 5k without obliterating my bank account.

*I do not need the best of the best
Pre-order - could be a month out but at that price, well worth the wait!

I'm running a Ruthless Audio 4500 per pair of Xv3 12s. Happy with the amps.
I would not spend my $ on BlackBrick amps. The whole “owned by veterans” is a nice story but did you read the warranty? It *****! They only cover shipping damage, PERIOD! They don’t even back their stuff so why should you? Also, their “monster 30k watt amp”, read the specs, it only goes down to 40hz. If you are running that much juice you clearly want something that drops down significantly lower than 40hz.

Now, dollar per watt? If that is your only goal, taramps, skar, there are so many of these type of brands now where you can get tons of watts for little dollars. In the 90’s you paid 1$/watt. Think how lucky we are these days. If you wanted a legitimate 5000 W amp you were going to spend at least five grand on it nowadays is five grand can get you a whole system!

I recommend going on YouTube and watch some of big d’s dyno videos. That’ll give you a good idea of what these amps are “truly” putting out and what they cost.

Williston Audio Labs on YouTube, very informative. And NO, I have no dog in the fight as far as my recommendations, I sincerely believe he’s extremely informative on the subject.

Down4Sound amps is another great amp for power, cost and quality. And they have an exceptional reputation when it comes to returns and backing thier products.

Ok, I’m done.

I would not spend my $ on BlackBrick amps. The whole “owned by veterans” is a nice story but did you read the warranty? It *****! They only cover shipping damage, PERIOD! They don’t even back their stuff so why should you? Also, their “monster 30k watt amp”, read the specs, it only goes down to 40hz. If you are running that much juice you clearly want something that drops down significantly lower than 40hz.

Now, dollar per watt? If that is your only goal, taramps, skar, there are so many of these type of brands now where you can get tons of watts for little dollars. In the 90’s you paid 1$/watt. Think how lucky we are these days. If you wanted a legitimate 5000 W amp you were going to spend at least five grand on it nowadays is five grand can get you a whole system!

I recommend going on YouTube and watch some of big d’s dyno videos. That’ll give you a good idea of what these amps are “truly” putting out and what they cost.

Williston Audio Labs on YouTube, very informative. And NO, I have no dog in the fight as far as my recommendations, I sincerely believe he’s extremely informative on the subject.

Down4Sound amps is another great amp for power, cost and quality. And they have an exceptional reputation when it comes to returns and backing thier products.

Ok, I’m done.
@ohioMike330 - You may want to pay attention to the print on the BB sight, 25-2000 hz is the Freq response, 40-80 is the HP or what many refer to as the subsonic/infrasonic filter.

I never promote a product that I do not have direct experiences with, ever or I state as much. As for the Vet story, it's bonafede... And the return policy isn't uncommon. You could buy 6-8 of their 8k amps for the price of a similarly built Salt or other Korean board designs, so, if you like paying for that, I get it.

I would gladly pay 40% less for a Salt 2 Focal, Helix or any other well built product if it meant only getting a 90 day warranty, do it all the time with factory refurbs, only been an issue once in 40 years. Don't kid yourself, you are paying for the reassurance that you will get at least a year or two out of the product when in reality you almost assuredly will - IF you know what you;re looking at.

But hey, I only have two of their amplifiers in the last year that are still pounding the carpet and 40+ years in the business, what do I know?

So, which other half-bridge or taramps are you talking about? The $520 to $700 SMART BASS or the Big Boss? I would say the smart bass and smart units are pretty decent even though a couple of years ago the Taramps had a real reputation for starting on fire - much like many of the Sundown SFB monoblocks did prior to upgrading their power supplies.

Oh, and that Sundown Salt-8 8K amp (creme of the crop), it's about $2400 My math says you could go through 8 of the BB's for that price. ;)

As for watts for dollars, yes, much more for the money these days - AND that is still a relative figure as you still pay for the real nice stuff, no way around it.

But, if you're buying Skar amplifiers, then you're right, that warranty is VERY important, for a Skar amp, which is another rebranded Chinese buildhouse product that you pay more for because it says Skar on it, why I can't fathom, but the name still carries some weight with those that are not all that familiar with the many chinese buildhouse amplifiers that are often built on the same PCB boards with the very same components you are paying a little more for it when it says Skar on it. just say'n.

Not many are going to take your recommends seriously if you come in here and start promoting Skar amplifiers as a good product for the money. Decent enough subs, but their amps are overpriced considering what you can get from Stinger, Recoil, DR, NVX, Belva and other similar built amplifiers.

Additionally, you quoted @powerhomie in your retort, I was the one that mentioned the BlackBrick product - which after pulling a couple of the amps apart and watching Youtube videos on their subwoofers, still recommend the product, with confidence.

Last edited:

Ok, I’m done.

Quoted the wrong person and then recommended a pedos company over a veteran company...

really 2.jpg

The bb and salt aren't even in the same league...the salt will last and handle real abuse 🤣
Never said they were. Commentary was more to being able to purchase one or the other or 40% off and take a 90 day warranty... which I would in a heartbeat. More to the pricing and warranty at the heart of the commentary. The Salt 8k at 40% off is still a whopping $1400+ so there is that...

I would say the BB compares favorably to many Korean boards in the $550 to $750 dollar range.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...