amp randomly turns off. need help troubleshooting.

Participant count
  • Participant list

timaishu
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
San Diego
So I am having an interesting problem.

One week ago while I was driving my music randomly cut out for a split second and then I got a loud pop. Same sound that everyone gets when they complain about their sub popping when they turn off their HU or something similar.

And then the music kept playing after. Its been happening to me everyday about 5 or so times with different levels of severity. I was just out driving right now and it turned off for a good 5-10 seconds. Then it came back on. My headunit was still playing btw. Everytime it makes a loud pop when it happens.

I pulled down my back seat and I noticed that when this is happening my amp is actually turning off for the period of time Im having the issue. But my headunit is still on. Sometimes though my headunits screen has gone blank. But it has only happened once or twice.

I checked all my connections and they were all solid. I replaced the + cable between the battery and the fuse because it was a bit corroded but it didnt make a difference because I still have the problem.

Give me ideas on what to check. The only other thing I can think of right now is my remote wire. It is a ghetto rigged with several pieces sliced together. What else could it be?

Help.

Did you check the remote? it could be the wire touching something and grounding out. Not really sure though..thats a weird one..if i were you i would just take everything out and do it again..thats the way i do it..but yet again i dont have a **** load of wire or anything like that

I think Im going to replace the remote wire. As my next step. Id hate to just take it all out to start over.

I doubt its a voltage issue. Im not running alot of power. My subs are only getting 150wRMS a piece and my speakers are bridged for 120RMS.

So I am having an interesting problem.
One week ago while I was driving my music randomly cut out for a split second and then I got a loud pop. Same sound that everyone gets when they complain about their sub popping when they turn off their HU or something similar.

And then the music kept playing after. Its been happening to me everyday about 5 or so times with different levels of severity. I was just out driving right now and it turned off for a good 5-10 seconds. Then it came back on. My headunit was still playing btw. Everytime it makes a loud pop when it happens.

I pulled down my back seat and I noticed that when this is happening my amp is actually turning off for the period of time Im having the issue. But my headunit is still on. Sometimes though my headunits screen has gone blank. But it has only happened once or twice.

I checked all my connections and they were all solid. I replaced the + cable between the battery and the fuse because it was a bit corroded but it didnt make a difference because I still have the problem.

Give me ideas on what to check. The only other thing I can think of right now is my remote wire. It is a ghetto rigged with several pieces sliced together. What else could it be?

Help.
Seriously??? Why would anyone do that, remote wire is the smalles part of the system so I don't see the need to do that.

I think Im going to replace the remote wire. As my next step. Id hate to just take it all out to start over.
I doubt its a voltage issue. Im not running alot of power. My subs are only getting 150wRMS a piece and my speakers are bridged for 120RMS.
What kind of subs do you have? thats not anything at all.

Seriously??? Why would anyone do that, remote wire is the smalles part of the system so I don't see the need to do that.
I didnt have any long enough strands. I had several short strands so I used butt connectors and crimped them to the length I needed.

Its been like that for 8-9 months. After I was done I didnt touch it. So I dont see why it would randomly start failing. Its not like its moving around..

I have two SVC Image Dynamics IDQ's. They are (Im assuming) the first generation. They are IDQv.1s. They dont need alot of juice. I think they are rated a 200rms.

hmm try hooking up another hu and see if that fixes it...all i could think of is a wiring issue but u have that covered...what about ur fuses? also ceck ur rca's again

I didnt have any long enough strands. I had several short strands so I used butt connectors and crimped them to the length I needed.
Its been like that for 8-9 months. After I was done I didnt touch it. So I dont see why it would randomly start failing. Its not like its moving around..
You can use anything for a remote wire...literally a peice of 15ft wire..less than 14 guage..i bet you tree fitty that thats what your problem is...

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

hmm try hooking up another hu and see if that fixes it...all i could think of is a wiring issue but u have that covered...what about ur fuses? also ceck ur rca's again
Ahh I didnt really check my RCA's. Ill take a look at them when I replace my remote wire. Im gonna go out to the local audio shop and buy some wire. Ill post again with results.

And I dont have a spare HU to swap out so thats not an option.

New remote wire is in. It actually only had a single splice in it. I could of sworn I had more.

Only way to tell if it worked is to go out driving as I dont know how to induce it. Checked all my wires again. RCA's looked good, Hopefully that fixes it. I cant think of what could be wrong beyond that other than an issue with my amp or HU.

UPDATE: So I am still getting the issue. But it doesnt seem as severe now. Only 2 or 3 pops today so far and they didnt cut out the music because they happened so quick. So the remote wire wasnt the issue.

What else? Im thinking RCA's are the next step. This is so agravating.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.