Amp installation help

Participant count
  • Participant list

bob1122

Hey, I am new to CarAudio's forum's and thank you In advance for any help!

I recently installed some rear speakers in my 92 Tercel and have noticed they are missing allot of power that they had in my previous car. I happened to have a buddy with a small extra amp he didn't need so I grabbed his Rockford Fosgate Punch120a (60 x 2 watts rms) and I would like to install it but have no idea how to go about doing this. (I assume the lack of power is because all I did was connect the speakers and have no increase the power going to them.

The inputs on my amp are as follows:

Left Input (RCA)

Right input (RCA)

High level Input (Have no idea what the connector is but it have R+R- and L+L-)

REM (Just a single prong)

Then I have the output:

Left +

Left -

Right +

Right -

B +

GND

To start I assume I run a heavy guage wire from the pos terminal on my battery to the B + on the amp. I have no idea how to connect the input (Possibly solder rear right and left to RCA plugs respectivly? ), and where to run the ground wire. I also don't know what the REM is for and if its neccesary. There is also a Switch (120HP - full crossover- 80LP), Is there a specific setting I need to use?

I am still using the stock radio is this going to be a issue (I plan to upgrade when I can afford too!)

Thanks allot for any help !

Get an 8 gauge wiring kit from knukonceptz. Obviously you can get other brands or find wire locally. This is just an example of good quality wire at a reasonable price. Being in CA, local may be a cheaper option. The B+ and Ground are technically part of the input, even though they may be on the opposite side of the amp. 8 gauge power wire to the the B+ from the battery with the appropriate fuse inline(the kit will supply this). A short ground from the amp to chassis(make sure the area you choose is sanded down to shiny metal and make sure it's VERY secure. 95% of more of amp issues occur from a bad/loose ground). Make sure you connect the ground last.

The remote wire will be connected, in this case since you're using a stock HU, to the fuse box. Pick up an add-a-fuse to connect the remote wire to some circuit in your car that only turns on when the car is on, likewise is off when the car is off. This simply tells your amp to turn on and off. These can be found for cheap at any auto parts store. Pick up a line output converter. I've used this one many times with no issues. This will connect to the rear speaker wires and will give you the outputs you need to connect the RCAs. This can be done in the trunk, at the rear speaker, or behind the the HU. I recommend put it behind the HU, so that the RCAs will already be there whenever you get a new HU. Plug RCAs in, then run new speaker wire from the outputs on the amp to your speakers.

Then read up on how to properly set the settings on your amplifier or you could fry it or the speakers in minutes.

Amplifier Installation Guide

Not trying to hate on you since you are new here. Just a tip to get your questions answered. Search on your own on this site and google for what you need. Then post on things you can not understand for clarification. People here have a lot more tolerance for someone who is trying but can't grasp. Opposed to someone who is too lazy to find out on their own. Again not bashing. I do understand you may not know enough for proper search terminology. Try how to install a car amplifier or amplifier instillation guide on google.

BTW crutchfield should have a glossary of terms to tell you all about the buttons and knobs on an amp. You can also go to the specific manufacturer and generally download an owners manual in pdf on the specific mode http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/library/2001/3_Amplifiers/MAN3216A_Punch2Ch_MAN.pdfl. That will tell you what everything is on your amp. Not trying to make you gun shy to ask. Just trying to give you a heads up on getting better answers.

Good Luck

Just so's you know- the high level input is for if you wanted to use the stock speaker wires as inputs instead of RCAs. Not preferred.

And before you do pretty much anything, remove the negative terminal from the battery so fires do not start and sparks do not fly.

welcome to the site //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.