Amp goes into protect after i start the car but not before?

Participant count
  • Participant list

duro78
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
new york
Decided to go active and after days of redoing this and that the simplest thing is driving me crazy. I pretty much finished up everything and during testing I never actually turned the car on but when i did my front stage amp goes into protect. It plays just fine with the car off but as soon as I turn the ignition on the amp immediately goes red. All the possibilities i can think of are contradicted by the fact it plays just fine when the engine isn't running. After all I've been through I really don't want to rip everything apart looking for the culprit so if someone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. my substage works just fine.

I checked all Connections with my dimm and everything was good. With all the new speaker connections I thought there might be a short somewhere but I disconnected all the wires from the speaker terminals and still the same problem. So I swapped it out with my ppi art 4ch and it worked just fine. So it must be the amp but its weird it just started happening since I started rewiring everything. The old Zeus has served me well for over 6 years but I guess its time to retire it. Guess its nice not being able to pass up deals in the classifieds so I have spares.

I checked all Connections with my dimm and everything was good. With all the new speaker connections I thought there might be a short somewhere but I disconnected all the wires from the speaker terminals and still the same problem. So I swapped it out with my ppi art 4ch and it worked just fine. So it must be the amp but its weird it just started happening since I started rewiring everything. The old Zeus has served me well for over 6 years but I guess its time to retire it. Guess its nice not being able to pass up deals in the classifieds so I have spares.

Your car sits at a lower voltage when off. Im willing to bet you have a defect in the amps power section. When it gets supplied with a higher voltage it causes the problem to show up.

No that amp is seeing the "spike" during engine crank. To test this, turn your HU off before starting the engine, so that the remote lead does not turn on power to the amps. Then one the engine is running turn the HU on. It will work just fine. This can be remedied by installing a cap on that mid/high amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.