Amp/box question (help asap please)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Hoots

Florida
Ok so I played a 50 hz test tone , I had my subsonic at about 24 , my lp at 80 hz , I had my level at 5 volts and my hu at 35 the most it goes to is 50. I then started moving my level till it sounded to loud and weird, i then lowered it to about 4 volts. I played a bunch of songs , from the driver seat the bass is pretty powerful , it tilts my vibrates my seats and rear view mirror a lot. When I listen to music next to my sub i hear a thumping sound when the note hits low , I think its my box though it sounds like a wooden thump , could it be clippping? I mean i doubt it though. Plus 4 volts is pretty safe and conservative , only when I lower it to like 4.5 volts or close to 5 I dont hear that thump , but then again the power is very low and the sub isnt exerting to much.

I am running a sa 12 in a 2.5 cu ft box , its .5 cu ft over recommended is that fine? I also tuned it to 32 hz if thats ok?

Bump someone help me? I also had my box flipped upside don if that makes a difference , when I first got it , it had some leaky air and I re glued it , I think it still might be leaking air somehow and affecting my sub?

Leaking air can be a big problem. Seal it up tight and get back to us.

Use silicone or something flexible. Glue shrinks and hardens. Not the best sealant. Also make sure your sub mounting flange is sealing tight to the box. I always put a strip of 1/4 weather stripping around the cut out before installing the sub. If your port is tuned to the extra .5 cu. it's probably not a real issue.

Bump someone help me? I also had my box flipped upside don if that makes a difference , when I first got it , it had some leaky air and I re glued it , I think it still might be leaking air somehow and affecting my sub?
complain to the guys that built it. That box needs silicone caulk. Any leaks will change the tuning and possibly damage the sub in the future. Afterwards, feel the box to see if it flexes or vibrates a lot, you might need some extra bracing inside the box if you do.

The whole top portion of the box i guess near the front baffle , air is leaking out of it. But the guy stapled the top portion of the box down how could I go about taking those out? Also I played music for about an hour total with leaky air I dint know about , could I have damaged my sub?

complain to the guys that built it. That box needs silicone caulk. Any leaks will change the tuning and possibly damage the sub in the future. Afterwards, feel the box to see if it flexes or vibrates a lot, you might need some extra bracing inside the box if you do.
Do i use titebond 2 , for a long gap , extending from the one side to the other? Is titebond appropriate for gaps? If no what else works?

As said before many times by others and me, you need silicone caulk both on the inside of the box and outside. IF you want to be more thorough, get sawdust, mix it with wood glue and fill in the crack. After it dries then put on silicone caulk afterwards.

Plug up those two drill holes too and yes the with the exact same things I just recommended, works for all cracks. Silicone 1, silicone 2 or liquid nails, loctite premium 375, are all fine for sealing purposes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.