Alt Won't Charge After Organizing Wire

Participant count
  • Participant list

Savackz

CarAudio.com Elite
GA
I was rewiring the grounds under my hood and I reattached the wires to their normal positions before I messed with up because I was OCD. Finished up, started car, and I see 12.8. Checked fuses, all of that jazz and nothing worked. The only thing I have not done yet is unattach the harness and reattach it because my car is still cooling off from me driving around to see if it would just jump up. Any suggestions? All of the wires are the same as before, but I am stumped. No additions, no subtractions.

Since i see you are using a high output alt, check the Exciter fuse.

Their is a fuse in the fuse box typically under the hood that has the horn, Primary Alternator fuse, etc..

I'm not talking about the Primary fuse but there is another fuse that has an amperage range between 5-15A. Pull that and see if it's bad.

IF it is, replace with 15A even if it was smaller. High output alts should always be using 15A fuse in this position as the turn on current is much higher than stock.

Since i see you are using a high output alt, check the Exciter fuse.
Their is a fuse in the fuse box typically under the hood that has the horn, Primary Alternator fuse, etc..

I'm not talking about the Primary fuse but there is another fuse that has an amperage range between 5-15A. Pull that and see if it's bad.

IF it is, replace with 15A even if it was smaller. High output alts should always be using 15A fuse in this position as the turn on current is much higher than stock.
I checked them all today but I can try looking again. This is a picture of the labels - which should I look for specifically?

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ddgest/2009-11-27_154644_4runner_under_hood.JPG

Alt-5 7.5A That is the one. Get multimeter and check continuity on it as that's a small fuse and may not see if it's bad to the eye or not.

Alt-5 7.5A That is the one. Get multimeter and check continuity on it as that's a small fuse and may not see if it's bad to the eye or not.
Okay. I will check it tomorrow. If not, it's either a bad harness or the regulator or something inside of the alt went bad just at a bad time.

Alright so I got someone to bring me my stock alt from home (college) and still nothing. I brought it to Advanced Auto and took both alternators there to figure out what the issue could be and the aftermarket one failed but the stock one held up fine according to their machine. Anyone have any tricks to try? I only have the required wiring right now under the hood and with the stock alt on, I actually got a battery light on.

measure voltage right at the alt's charge post and at the starting battery, see if they are the same.

measure voltage right at the alt's charge post and at the starting battery, see if they are the same.
Yeah it's the same but I don't think the harness is getting a high enough voltage for everything to work. I am taking it to a shop beacuse I can only do so much since I am at college and hardly anywhere to work on stuff

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.