Alpine Type-R 10"

danieldl
10+ year member

Hello,

First of all, sorry for my bad English, I'm French canadian and it's a little bit harder to find good car audio forums in French.

I actually have a 10" Alpine Type-R (4+4 Ohms) hooked up to a MRP-M350 in my 2009 Toyota Yaris. I'm using an original Alpine enclosure that is (I think) ported. Here is a picture :

alpine_sub.jpg

I would have a great deal to buy a PDX-1.600 Alpine amplifier. I'm actually a big fan of Alpine and do like their products. I have read several reviews on this amp, it's actually far better than my old MRP-M350 (which is almost 3 years old). The PDX-1.600 amplifiers can output up to 750W RMS, depending on the one you get. It's 1500W peak.

My 10" Type-R can handle the 1500W peak but is only rated 500W RMS. I would like to know if it would be a problem. The headunit is a JVC KDR-R400.

Will I burn my sub? Is it too loud for a Yaris? Thank you!

Daniel

Those boxes are quite rare. I had one and it KICKED ass with a 12. That is the older generation Type R which handles a bit less power...But you should be just fine if you watch how hard you play it. With my 12 on 1000W rms using the MRD M1005, the coils would get a bit smelly if I slammed it hard for extended periods.

Thank you very much for your very fast answers. If I set the gain so that the sound isn't distortionned, there is no way to burn my sub too fast? And I guess this is a really good upgrade. By the way, my Yaris is a hatchback model. The box actually takes half the space in the trunk.

wangan30, ya, I actually live really near that guy selling the PDX-1.1000. But it would be really too much for my Type-R, no? I cannot add another one in my Yaris, obviously. I have the PDX-1.600 for 250$ CAD, and this guy is selling his PDX-1.1000 for 350$ CAD (probably can get it for 320$ CAD). Not a big difference, just thought 1000W would be really too much for one Type-R 10". By the way, would a Type-X fit this box? And yeah, the Type-R is the old generation, but I will buy a new one soon probably.

I wouldn't be probably upgrading my sub right now. Probably more in April/May. And I'm not sure a 10" Type-X would fit this box, it looks like a monster compared to the Type-R.

Okay, I got a few questions now. I want to keep the Alpine enclosure I actually have. Do you think a Type-X would fit?

If yes, I guess I'm better getting the PDX 1000 and then buy a Type-X with some Gauge 2 wires. I already have a 1 farad capacitor. Will this be enough with my brand new Yaris or I need some other modification to run 1000w efficiently?

If the Type-X doesn't fit the box, I will just keep my Type-R. I know the PDX 600 would be more than enough to run it. But in fact, the deal I have for the PDX 1000 is actually cheaper than the one for the 600. Is it possible for the PDX 1000 to run a Type-R without burning it by setting a low gain on it? Whatever is the answer, am I better to get gauge 4 wires or gauge 2?

Thank you, I must take a fast decision because that PDX 1000 deal won't last forever.

I don't need to change my alternator or get a bigger capacitor?

If it can run the Type-R without blewing everyting up, I will get that PDX 1000 right tomorrow and wait to see if a Type-X can fit this box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.