Adding sub in 07 prius

lspin01l
10+ year member

Alright, I used to be in the know for all the car audio stuff, but I was out of it for about 3 years. I just got a 07 Prius, with navigation/ upgraded sound, etc. I am not satisfied with the bass, so I will be putting in a system. I will be doing it little by little just to have the cost spread out a little bit.

I really like Alpine products so for the first stage of the install I have chosen:

Alpine SWX-1043D - 10" type X subwoofer

Alpine MRP-M1000 - 1000W RMS amp

I will add some mid-bass and tweeters in a few months, along with an amp to compensate for the bass. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I will be making a fiberglass box to go in the cubby in the trunk to keep it out of the way. The amp will be going in the storage space underneath the floor in the trunk.

My questions are:

Does this subwoofer/amp combination work? I am a little rusty with wiring and I'm not sure if the Dual 4 ohm wires correctly to get the full power from the amp.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should do to make this a better system? (When I was more current with this stuff, I heard only good things about the Type X)

What will I need to do to hook this up to the stock navigation/cd player unit? I haven't installed a system without an aftermarket HU, so I'm not exactly sure how to do it.

Thanks for your help!

yeah, I know that I will need some sort of LOC, but I'm not exactly sure what I need to get, especially if i want to upgrade the speakers later on.

Another question that I forgot... I used Peel and Seal on multiple cars and was happy with the results. I went to Lowes today to get some, and I saw something similar (forgot the name of it), but I wasn't sure if thats going to be very good. It seemed very thin. Is P&S still sold at most Lowes? or is it being sold elsewhere now??

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think the Prius uses a 12 volt system. I think they're like 500-600 (I could be wrong though) I'd be talking to a dealership to make sure it's safe.

My questions are:

Does this subwoofer/amp combination work? I am a little rusty with wiring and I'm not sure if the Dual 4 ohm wires correctly to get the full power from the amp.
D4 can be wired to 2 ohm final or 8 ohm final. That amp is stable down to 2 ohm, so that combo will work fine.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should do to make this a better system? (When I was more current with this stuff, I heard only good things about the Type X)
Type-Rs are supposed to be a really good value. The X is quite a bit more and would probably make it worth investigating other routes, especially if your paying list prices. In that price range you'd have a tremendous amount of options.

Another question that I forgot... I used Peel and Seal on multiple cars and was happy with the results. I went to Lowes today to get some, and I saw something similar (forgot the name of it), but I wasn't sure if thats going to be very good. It seemed very thin. Is P&S still sold at most Lowes? or is it being sold elsewhere now??
I wouldn't put peel and seal in a car in Georgia; not worth the risk. Find a butyl based mat like second skin or rammat

I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think the Prius uses a 12 volt system. I think they're like 500-600 (I could be wrong though) I'd be talking to a dealership to make sure it's safe.
Hmm, that is something I probably should look into. I didn't think about that. There is a battery in the trunk that I would use to connect to the amp, but I just assumed that it would be running 12v.

This is getting more complicated as I go along. lol

the weight of the sub will decrease the gas mileage of the prius and will increase global warming fyi lol
lol... I guess you're right. ***** for gas mileage (would be 44mpg instead of 46. haha) but oh well for global warming. I didn't exactly think about that when I got the car. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

You cant do it on a hybrid. Your car will turn off at a red light or in traffic. Hybrids dont have constant charge from alts they mainly charge from the brake pedal so unless you like doing burnouts just to get ur system to bump i dont reccomend it.

NEXT!

You cant do it on a hybrid. Your car will turn off at a red light or in traffic. Hybrids dont have constant charge from alts they mainly charge from the brake pedal so unless you like doing burnouts just to get ur system to bump i dont reccomend it.
NEXT!
hmm, Do you know from experience? I have seen lots of installs in prius's of all years...so I doubt that that's the case. So unless you have some legitimate proof.... "NEXT!"

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.