76' Monte Carlo

ShiningBuick
10+ year member

NotLoudEnuff
Fargo, ND
I took my mom's 76' Monte Carlo out this weekend both days to try and burn a bunch of gas out of it before it goes into storage for the winter really soon.

Me and my friend decided to stop by a good photo spot and grap a few pics, so here they are.

BTW, it's got the 350 V8 in it, but only the 2 barrel carb. Not sure the difference a 4 barrel would make, but right now it's super slow and seems underpowered.

Maybe because it's really heavy, or maybe because it hasn't been driven since May ( grrr ).

My Park Avenue's faster than it, haha. But then again this doesn't have overdrive gear in it.

The paint's not original, but the color is the same as it came stock, and my mom's been the only owner of it. It's super rust free for a Wisconsin car all its life! There is some bubbling under the Landau on the driver's side though. Boo.

I'll snap some interior and engine pics for you guys if you want tomorrow or Tuesday. I've gotta fix a headlight and clean the car inside and out (it's so dusty from benig in the garage, and the interior is just kinda dirtyish).

Enjoy.

DSC00562.jpg

DSC00560.jpg

DSC00558.jpg

DSC00555.jpg

you dont know what difference a 4 barrel carb would make? umm 2x as many jets = 2x as much fuel = higher fuel to air ratio = more power
lol...just lol

and overdrive wouldn't really make it faster..overdrive is just another gear....and on the 200r4 it just locks the torque converter down, which unlocks as soon as you accelerate

you dont know what difference a 4 barrel carb would make? umm 2x as many jets = 2x as much fuel = higher fuel to air ratio = more power
"I don't know the difference" as in I don't know wether to expect a gain of 5hp or 20hp. Obviously it'll give more power because of that, but I don't know performance so I wouldn't know how much of a gain to expect.

Smd, I realized that when someone pointed it out on another forum.

I've always referred to when a car drops into a lower "passing" gear when you floor is as "overdrive". Pretty much a mixup of terms.. but I'm glad I know it now. I felt pretty dumb the first time someone pointed it out. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Point is.. the 3 speed automatic doesn't drop to a lower gear when floored to get more torque to the wheels or w/e.

pretty clean car.......all original i assume?

swapping to a 4BBl which also requires a different intake manifold

might gain 20HP If I had to guess - I wouldent though,because youll start messing with

the originality of the car - its not a racer,its for cruising and you guys prolly dont drive much with it anyways......That car although not in demand is cleand and old enough to keep its value - Id leave it be

The paint's not original, there was some body work done at one point in time, I'm not sure if it's just the area of the body work or the whole car, though.

I'm not sure if the hood was replaced, but I remember it was damaged once when a spring from the garage door broke and flew across the garage, gouging it pretty bad. That was when I was too young to really know/care what the people who were fixing it were doing. It probably just got pounded out body filled and painted, though.

Other than that it's pretty much original though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

looks like a nice clean ole car. As said not really in demand but then again it is old enough to just be neat. I love old stuff versus the new fangled stuff. nother 10 or 20 years and I bet it will be worth quite a bit more, only gonna rise in value I would think specially if it stays in its current condition.

Carb just mixes air and fuel, 4 barrel will allow you to flow more generally, but you would at least need a new intake and not really necessary unless you plan on doing more to open it up. I would just put a nice exhaust on it and cruise windows down and listen to the music of the engine

pics look pretty nice makes me wanna clean up my truck and find a nice spot to snap some

One things for sure if you were to ever get into an accident your comin out ok, unless of course its a full size truck or semi lol, hondas and toyotas will just bounce off that thing

Haha, higher fuel to air ratio? Although most people would have gone with air to fuel as the order of the ratio... what you're suggesting is a richening condition and ******** that'll make more power. Or I guess if it were in the right order you'd be talking about leaning out which yea can increase performance til the good old point of detonation. I think you know what you were trying to say but delivered it in the wrong words, the air/fuel ratio shouldn't change, just the quantity of both but in consistent relation to each other.

I would just put a nice exhaust on it and cruise windows down and listen to the music of the engine

One things for sure if you were to ever get into an accident your comin out ok, unless of course its a full size truck or semi lol, hondas and toyotas will just bounce off that thing
A new exhaust would be absolutely awesome. Right now the stock sure does what it's supposed to do, it's quiet. When I rev it all I hear is engine and no exhaust sound. 3" cat back with a Y pipe and say.. 2 flowmaster 40's would sound pretty tough I bet. Not totally sure on muffle choice, but that doesn't really matter, I doubt that's going to happen any time soon.

It'd have to be done by a pro (tried exhaust on my Buick, it works and looks ok, but I'd want perfect on this car), which is expensive, plus the cost of two mufflers (unless we rock a single muffler with dual outlets like on the Buick), and cost of tubing.. it'd be expensive. Might as well replace the cat while They're down there, too, eh?

That's a good chunk of change.. it doesn't have holes yet so it can stay.

If it ever rusts out though.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/satan.gif.9c6a335ed7aeeed3ee273e573f1fcaac.gif

Oh man if it ever got into an accident it wouldn't matter if I came out ok.. I'd blow my brains out. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

My old car (2001 Olds Alero) got totalled a year ago and I still miss it.. wrecking something like this would just be killer

Sorry guys, it's not up for sale. For the last couple of years she'd tried to sell it, but I'm going to be going to college in a year and this might be the last year it'll have to be stored not at this house to make room for my car in the garage during winter. So, yeah, lol.

Any idea what it's worth approximately? Just curious.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.