6th Order Bandpass Boxes

I can design them... but the output is very limited and only in specific ranges.

Very much unlike ported boxes, after their tuned frequency, their output drastically is lowered. That's why many people just use ported. Although, if designed right, the output at the tuned frequency is much better than a ported box... but like I said, for daily listening, they're pretty poor.

I can design them... but the output is very limited and only in specific ranges.Very much unlike ported boxes, after their tuned frequency, their output drastically is lowered. That's why many people just use ported. Although, if designed right, the output at the tuned frequency is much better than a ported box... but like I said, for daily listening, they're pretty poor.
a parallel 6th order can actually play music well if designed properly, you just need a sub suited to an almost free air application, similar to the specs of a sub suited to a tline.

since a 6th order in that sense is effectively just two ported boxes stacked on each side, it would just be a matter of make one side pick up where the other drops off.

a parallel 6th order can actually play music well if designed properly, you just need a sub suited to an almost free air application, similar to the specs of a sub suited to a tline.
since a 6th order in that sense is effectively just two ported boxes stacked on each side, it would just be a matter of make one side pick up where the other drops off.

Very true. Generally speaking, though, most subs aren't that well suited for BP and T-line enclosures, as well as IB set-ups. Especially on this forum, which the biggest, fattest, dopest magnet/basket combo gets people harder than calculus... I view this forum as the SPL forum and DIYMA as the SQ forum. Haha.

This may sound ghey to some of you, but I had 2 Audiobahn 12's in a bandpass in the trunk of a civic and it sounded really really good and loud on music. Really.
which bandpass design was it though?

UH...
1 common sealed chamber for the front of the cones and seperate ported chambers for the rear (where the motor goes) w/ 2-4" ports on the vented sides

I thought 6th order meant all bandpass designs..Sorry
An inverted 4th order. lolz.

To clear it up...

4th order is when there are 2 chambers, and one chamber is ported.

6th order is when both chambers are ported.

6th order bandpasses can actually have very flat and wide bandwidths, its all in how you design them, and the sub that you are using. This concept applies to every kind of speaker enclosure, in that both the driver and the way it is designed are the biggest factors in what kind of response you are going to get. There is nothing inherent about a 6th order parallel tuned bandpass that will make it shitty on music or lack bandwidth.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.