$400 limit for Component Speakers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

big_a
10+ year member

Earth
A 2000 Lexus ES. My end goal is to sound deaden the 2 front doors, have a component system up front pushed by an amp, disable the rear speakers and 1 or 2 12s in the trunk. Most of the music will be rap so I don't really want real 'bright' highs. Any suggestions on what I should look at!? I work out of town so I really cannot go from store to store to listen to different brands //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Active is when you control crossover points after amplification. No passive crossover. You run every peice off its own channel. You have to have a way to set crossovers so the mid don't play highs and the tweeter don't play midrange. You can get passive crossovers if you need to and still be under budget but active is the way to go.

by passing passive crossovers, gives u control of each speakers freq range, 3-way (tweets, mids range, midbass) so u would send each one to the amp to control, u would need a 6ch amp to do that unless u have a DSP like a rockford 3sixty or JBL MS8... and so forth. thats just a short version, pretty sure someone else will explain it alot better than me

by passing passive crossovers, gives u control of each speakers freq range, 3-way (tweets, mids range, midbass) so u would send each one to the amp to control, u would need a 6ch amp to do that unless u have a DSP like a rockford 3sixty or JBL MS8... and so forth. thats just a short version, pretty sure someone else will explain it alot better than me
A 4 channel here. No midbass that he mentioned. That vid was a 3 way though.

There's a ton of components that will fit your bill on the market. New and used But if you don't know what active is. It might better serve you to either buy a complete set with crossovers. Or have someone local help you set it up. As when going active. If you don't know what your doing. Results can be bad and or even damage your equipment

How much would an active set up be if I let a shop install? That would determine if I'm going to do active or passive..also, I wont install an amp for the speakers right away but will eventually

How much would an active set up be if I let a shop install? That would determine if I'm going to do active or passive..also, I wont install an amp for the speakers right away but will eventually
A discussion about installation costs needs to be directed to your local shops. Nobody on the Internet can tell you what they will charge. There are many variables.

The speakers all need to be amplified, either from a head unit or a separate amplifier. You could use JBL MS-8 as that is a processor with an 8-channel amplifier built in, but a lot of shops don't know how to properly install and tune it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.