2014.5 Toyota Camry subs and amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

iBorracho

Texas
I've never installed or bought car audio products before but i just a new car and want to improve the sound system. my budget is 500-600 and all i think i want is a couple subs, box for them, and an amp. any help is greatly appreciated.

That's an easy to accomplish goal if you(and/or a friend) can install everything yourself. I you don't feel comfortable removing the interior/dash panels and altering the wiring a little, then an installation will push the limits of your budget.

Don't forget you will need an amp kit and a speaker-RCA converter of some sort(if you don't get an amp with high level inputs).

I'd just shop the classifieds here for a pair of decent subs to pop up and a small amp. I'd stay 1000ish watts or less with stock electrical system. Check knukonceptz.com for a 4ga amp kit.

you'll need an amp with high level inputs and you want auto turn-on. if you go with a LOC i recommend David Navone Engineering.

Kicker IX500.1 IX Series 500W Monoblock Class-D Amplifier (11IX500.1)

11ix5001.jpg

Then a 4 awg amp kit that you will need to install. And look for a used sub/box combo you can get locally for cheap. a pair of 4 ohm SVC subs will get to a 2 ohm final load for the amp.

If you are not looking to shake the world but just want to add a decent amount of bass AND you are not comfortable with trying to do the install yourself on that brand new car then find a REPUTABLE shop near you. Most decent shops should be able to do a two sub(10's or 12's), box, amp, all wiring and installation package in that price range. That way you are FULLY covered in the event of a mishap. We install those packages on a regular basis.

Keep in mind that most on these forums are biased and will say "oh you need a gazillion watts and the most massive power hungry subs you can find and a custom box!".....It doesn't take all that, especially if that is not your overall goal.....250-500 watts rms on a pair of efficient subs in a prefab slot ported box will perform very nicely for the average person looking to improve the bass in most vehicles.....

If you are not looking to shake the world but just want to add a decent amount of bass AND you are not comfortable with trying to do the install yourself on that brand new car then find a REPUTABLE shop near you. Most decent shops should be able to do a two sub(10's or 12's), box, amp, all wiring and installation package in that price range. That way you are FULLY covered in the event of a mishap. We install those packages on a regular basis.Keep in mind that most on these forums are biased and will say "oh you need a gazillion watts and the most massive power hungry subs you can find and a custom box!".....It doesn't take all that, especially if that is not your overall goal.....250-500 watts rms on a pair of efficient subs in a prefab slot ported box will perform very nicely for the average person looking to improve the bass in most vehicles.....
Never would I suggest a prefab ported box. Maybe sealed or maybe a mobilesoundworks.com box but not the fly by night crap prefabs from attrend

Never would I suggest a prefab ported box. Maybe sealed or maybe a mobilesoundworks.com box but not the fly by night crap prefabs from attrend
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a prefab ported box for the average every day person looking to add a little more bass than what the factory system is offering.

Not everyone is looking to drop notes below 33hz or be the loudest on the block or even be the most accurate, some people just want MORE bass than what the factory system has to offer. Some of you guys need to realize that the bulk of people out there ISN'T into this as much as most of you are. I get customers in literally every single day like this, hell I get customers in that want to do no more than replace their blown factory 8 or 10 inchers.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a prefab ported box for the average every day person looking to add a little more bass than what the factory system is offering.Not everyone is looking to drop notes below 33hz or be the loudest on the block or even be the most accurate, some people just want MORE bass than what the factory system has to offer. Some of you guys need to realize that the bulk of people out there ISN'T into this as much as most of you are. I get customers in literally every single day like this, hell I get customers in that want to do no more than replace their blown factory 8 or 10 inchers.
Trust me I understand that but I never let garbage leave my shop. Prefab ported loses all sq and makes the sub peaky as hell. You lose any low notes u might want. Youre much better off with a larger sealed box.

Trust me I understand that but I never let garbage leave my shop. Prefab ported loses all sq and makes the sub peaky as hell. You lose any low notes u might want. Youre much better off with a larger sealed box.
I don't let garbage leave our shop either. Everyone is not looking to the sq or spl king, most just simply want some bass added. Guess we will just have to agree to disagree....

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a prefab ported box for the average every day person looking to add a little more bass than what the factory system is offering.Not everyone is looking to drop notes below 33hz or be the loudest on the block or even be the most accurate, some people just want MORE bass than what the factory system has to offer. Some of you guys need to realize that the bulk of people out there ISN'T into this as much as most of you are. I get customers in literally every single day like this, hell I get customers in that want to do no more than replace their blown factory 8 or 10 inchers.
If someone was dead set on buying a prefab box I would encourage them to find one with known specs and plan sub(s) accordingly. Lot more wiggle room to have halfway decent sound with a prefab sealed box for budget/low power/low expectations box than relying on blind luck that the subs you choose will perform whatsoever in a prefab ported box.

You make an interesting point though that the majority of people would probably be thrilled with just about anything.

You make an interesting point though that the majority of people would probably be thrilled with just about anything.
That's my whole point here, I deal with customer 5 days a week and the vast majority of customers that do want to add bass is not looking for anything special, accurate, or mega loud they just want BASS!!! Hell to most bass is in the upper bass freq such as you get from prefab boxes. They are usually not trying to spend over $300-$600 installed so yes a prefab box and entry level sub combo fits their needs just fine. We do our fair share of custom boxes and custom install work as well, we do get those that want to blow the doors off and we are very capable in that area as well.

That's my whole point here, I deal with customer 5 days a week and the vast majority of customers that do want to add bass is not looking for anything special, accurate, or mega loud they just want BASS!!! Hell to most bass is in the upper bass freq such as you get from prefab boxes. They are usually not trying to spend over $300-$600 installed so yes a prefab box and entry level sub combo fits their needs just fine. We do our fair share of custom boxes and custom install work as well, we do get those that want to blow the doors off and we are very capable in that area as well.
Then again, I wonder how many of those people would think otherwise if they knew the difference?

Then again, I wonder how many of those people would think otherwise if they knew the difference?
Not many, you see as a true salesperson it is part of my job to do demos, which mean I show them the differences between all the products, boxes included. The difference in vehicle. Most here can't see outside the car audio bubble that they know and think that EVERYONE thinks and views sound systems they way we do but that is truly not the case. Again the average person could not care about most of the things that we deem must haves as far as car audio goes....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.