2006 Mustang GT Shaker 500 Replacement

gunz4me2
10+ year member

Bat Country
Louisiana
I finally have a sense of direction with my 2006 Rustang GT's sound system. I didn't log the Tang Band W4-1757SB placement in the 6x8 hole, but I did take photos of my Shaker 500 subwoofer replacement. As for the Tang Band wideband driver, imagine a 6x8 piece of ABS with a 4'' speaker in the middle of it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

First I started out with some cutting boards from Target. Unfortunately, I had a blond moment and set my Jasper Jig to cut a 8.5" hole with the 1/4" upcut bit. Can you say DOH!

Materials.jpg

After making one dumbass mistake, I finally managed to get some 8.5" rings fabricated. On the left, you have one Mach5Audio MLI-65. On the right is the Shaker 500 "subwoofer":

replacement_vs_stock1.jpg

replacement_vs_stock2.jpg

I used a heat gun to pull the factory grill from the stock sub. I had tried freezing the passenger's side overnight, but that didn't work out so well.

Replacement.jpg

They went into place rather easily, but I had to purchase some #10 1 1/4" sheet metal screws because the stock screws were too short:

Replacement_in_car_1.jpg

Replacement_in_car_2.jpg

They stick out a tad bit more than stock, but, it isn't that bad.

Replacement_in_car_3.jpg

Quick shot of the passenger's side:

Passenger_side.jpg

This is the head unit I am using:

HU.jpg

Subwoofer:

Sub.jpg

And this is the next area I am going to address:

amp_rack.jpg

At the rate I have gone through gear, I found it pointless to make the trunk look better. Until now that is. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

So to recap, this is my current setup:

HU - Alpine CDA-9887

Mids/Highs amp: Lunar L450

Mid/Tweet - Tang Band W4-1757SB (Playing from 315 Hz all the way up)

Midbass - Mach 5 Audio MLI-65 (Playing from 63 to 315 Hz)

Sub Amp - Clarion DPX1851

Subwoofer - JL Audio 13w6v2 Stealthbox (Playing 80 Hz and everything below it)

I should have my measuring microphone here this week along with a USB Mic mate so I will RTA it to see what anomalies I have in the frequency response plot.

It sounds GREAT right now. I usually test with Pink Floyd's Brain Damage on Dark Side of the Moon and listen for crosstalk in the guitars. Well, I am happy to report that this setup has none.

I did notice some anomolies that appeared to pop up in the 6 to 8k region, but that was Slayer's God Hates Us All. That particular CD is pretty RAW with its production, so that could be the reason it sounds odd in that frequency range.

I realize that I do not have the bass that many on this forum have with this system, but that is not what I was looking for. After all, that is what I have a 1997 Civic coupe for. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Since your grill consists of two layers, how about cutting out the center of the bottom layer and wrap it with grill cloth?

I would, but I have this stigma of wanting it to "look" stock when someone passes by the car. Granted, I know that the HU is different, but I want that to be the only thing anyone will ever see to hint at the vehicle having a sound system.

Next on the docket is to deal with that mess in the trunk, and possibly go back to using all Lunar Amplifiers again. Don't get me wrong, the Clarion DPX1851 is nice. I just purchased it as an experiment to see if I could get away with using a cheaper amplifier on a SQ subwoofer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.