2005 chevy silverado do you have to keep the factory cd player

metra makes the harness and antenna adapter and dash kit

they have 3 different ones

i for non amplified (no bose) no onstar

1 for onstar but no premium sound

and one for everything

metraonline.com just search by ur make model year and it will give u all part numbers for all harnesses adapter and dash kit u need

gmrc 01

gmco

are two different model number wiring harness's from two different manufacturers. it's a data buss harness. typically will run between $85 and $135 depending upon where you buy it.

can you bypass it and use the older style harness? yep, but you'll have to run a seperate ignition wire (the factory side of the wiring won't have one) and you won't have door chime. also, you could lose some engine diagnostic features, anti lock brakes and the rumors go on about what will and won't work if you don't use the data buss harness.

i'd recommend using it, better safe then sorry.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

You don't need to relocate the radio... circuit city, best buy, or any local car audio shop will have the harness you need. Actually walmart might now that I think of it.

walmart might carry them now. best buy will and so will CC. be prepared to spend upwards of the $135 at either place, save walmart.

again, if you bought the harness for say a 2002 silverado, it would work, except you'd lose door chime and you'd have to run a seperate ignition wire. you service engine light might also stay on, or security light. but then again, i've seen several installs where the data bus wasn't used and everything worked as normal. and if you go this route, you don't relocate the factory radio either.

the biggest difference from data bus to normal harness (save the door chime and some engine code crap) is the ignition wire. a data bus vehicle doesn't use a 12volt signal to turn on the radio, but rather a 2-3volt "data" signal. the harness converts the data signal, by using the constant source, to create ignition voltage.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.