1st post, help me out fellas

Participant count
  • Participant list

khmer_rouge
10+ year member

VA
Im finalizing my new system within the next week or so and I for the life of me cant figure out what I want for my subs.

I have narrowed it down to 4 choices. XXX's being my first choice but they are so **** expensive, jlw7s but I dont think 13w7s have a 3 ohm impedance though 12w7s do(I dont want to buy more than 1 amp for 2 subs), IDMax 12v4d3, and the Alpine Type X subs which I can get for next to nothing in cost.

I will likely add an enclosure that is sealed, if not I will slot port and tune at nothing higher than 35hz.

I would like the pros and cons of each of these subs. Like I said, I want 2 subs, dual voice coil so I can run a 1 ohm load, or 1 1/2 with JL12w7s.

I know that JL has good spl and great sql.

I havent heard the IDMAX, but have heard that they have awesome sql but maybe not as much spl as the JL12w7.

Ive been told the RE XXX is the best of the bunch, gives great sql and terrific spl though the cost is high.

I havent heard the Type X either but I see that they hold alot of watts and get pretty good reviews as far as sql goes. I have no idea how hard these subs will hit.

Help me decide and consider the best bang for the buck. I would love to know what some of you experts think.

btw, I am putting this in my lexus(im not rich, its an es300 lol) but I modified the kit and put in an alpine IVA W200, running a Audiocontrol Matrix line driver because the headunits output is only 2 volts, I am using an Audiocontrol DQXS as my signal processor/eq/crossovers. I went with MB Quart QSD 216s for the front soundstage, I got MB Quart Reference Series 6X9 componets for the back(I attenuate them to keep my front soundstage sounding like it should). I have a Soundstream Tarantuala 800.2 on the QSDs and I have a Tarantuala 560.2 on the Reference Series Quarts in the rear. All I have left to get is the sub amp, the subs, enclosure and a cap. Any advice would be welcome and Im happy to be here learning from you guys.

no cap necessary if you want to do anything do the big 3, search if you dont know what that is. Type X would be a good choice if you want SQ with a little loudness, if your looking for true SQl the XXX would be awesome but expensive so would the w7. IDmax's are good as well all good drivers just how much money you want to spend if you can get the X's real cheap go with them unless you really want to spend more money. Heard the Type X's are great on the low end so get a ported box tuned low 29-30 hz and you should be happy

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.