10" in a 12" hole adapter...

Participant count
  • Participant list

mlo
10+ year member

USA
Just curious...Does anyone make a retrofit ring to install a 10" sub into a 12" hole?

The installer put a single 10" shallow mount sub into the rear door of our 99' OBS Tahoe. I want the look as oem as possible so no large boxes mounted to the door (like Q logic). The installer currently has the back of the sub literally against the steel channell/stiffener on the inside of the door. He needs another 1/2"-3/4" clearance. Thats even if I will accept the .37 cu.ft. in volume of the glassed enclosure as is. Which I am tempted to do to severe ties with this operation.

Currently the sub is only covered by the same oem matching carpet he installed over the plywood door face he made which is spaced out another 3/4" from the door (plywood border under face panel (3/4"+3/4"=1.5")). It is actually tacky looking as the carpet is literally stretched over the top mounted sub showing the woofers raised outline from beneath.

I was thinking that maybe an easy way to clean this job up and get a little extra depth (adapter ring heigth) plus a functioning protective metal screen/grill, is to use a adapter ring of sorts which would likely involve enlarging the woofer cut-out to 12" which there plenty of room to do.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

P1010582.jpg

Here is another pic of the power wire that was ran. Seems the thinking behind this all wrong. As the door closes the wire cannot sip into either the door opening or the quarter pillar. The result is that slack wire become completely bent/crimped into the jamb. Seems after so many cycles of this it would simply break. What should be done in a situation like this? TIA

P1010581.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.