1%thd - 5% thd??

I have a 70 amp alternator stock , and a 25 amp battery , its a 1996 nissan sentra gxe , I dont want to test my luck with 1,000. i feel like I am already pushing it at 750.... I wanted to do 500 watts at 2ohms but i'm an idiot and i forgot my sub was a dual 2ohm... Its a sundown audio sa 12 in a 2.5 cu ft box , so 750 if my car doesnt **** on me is enough , I'm installing in 15 minutes please help me with the thd? I want to make sure it is at 750 how do I now it is??

I have a 70 amp alternator stock , and a 25 amp battery , its a 1996 nissan sentra gxe , I dont want to test my luck with 1,000. i feel like I am already pushing it at 750.... I wanted to do 500 watts at 2ohms but i'm an idiot and i forgot my sub was a dual 2ohm... Its a sundown audio sa 12 in a 2.5 cu ft box , so 750 if my car doesnt **** on me is enough , I'm installing in 15 minutes please help me with the thd? I want to make sure it is at 750 how do I now it is??
If the amplifier is drawing too much current for your electrical system to handle you will quickly notice this when your headlights dim. The reality is you can't actually dial in an amplifier to make XXX amount of watts with the gain knob. The power output will constantly vary as you play music. An option you do have that will reduce the power output is to wire your coils in series for a 4 ohm load.

If the amplifier is drawing too much current for your electrical system to handle you will quickly notice this when your headlights dim. The reality is you can't actually dial in an amplifier to make XXX amount of watts with the gain knob. The power output will constantly vary as you play music. An option you do have that will reduce the power output is to wire your coils in series for a 4 ohm load.
This is kind of where I was going, and this is very sound advice.

Ok , but on the website it says 750 watts @1ohm 1%thd , 1,000 watts @1ohm 5%thd , as if i have an option. Thats qhy i was asking how do i get it at 750... So far its doing great , no dimming and it hits pretty hard. In your experience how loud does one 12 get on about 750 watts? My rear view mirror vibrates heavy and my seat is shaking. ill upload a video soon.

Those aren't numbers regarding options -- those are lab test results.

Basically it's telling you the amp produces around 750w rms at the point its outputs start to clip. If you continue to push it past that point, it will produce ~1000w w/5% disortion due to clipping.

Just set the gain correctly and none of it really matters.

Those aren't numbers regarding options -- those are lab test results.Basically it's telling you the amp produces around 750w rms at the point its outputs start to clip. If you continue to push it past that point, it will produce ~1000w w/5% disortion due to clipping.

Just set the gain correctly and none of it really matters.

Thank you that helped me understand it a lot. I set my gains by ear , basically if I dont have my gain knob turned all the way up like an idiot I should be fine? I'm at about 2 volts , lpf 80 , and subsonic 24 or 26. My box is tuned to 32 hz and it is ported.

Thank you that helped me understand it a lot. I set my gains by ear , basically if I dont have my gain knob turned all the way up like an idiot I should be fine? I'm at about 2 volts , lpf 80 , and subsonic 24 or 26. My box is tuned to 32 hz and it is ported.
It's kind of hard to hear distortion even if it's clipping. You can do it by ear but it could still be way off. All it takes is a digital multimeter and you can have it set in no time. Just look it up on YouTube or anywhere on this forum. Since you really want to get the most out of your 750w amp, you could be missing out on more power if you set your gains too conservatively or you could be clipping without knowing it if its set too high. Make sure to unplug the remote gain knob first so it doesn't interfere with the process. If you're lazy to do it, then the clipping light indicator works fairly well by itself.

Go to Soundqubed's website and at the top of the homepage click on the "tech support" button and you will get a drop down menu. Click on "amp setup" from the menu. It will give you easy instructions on how to set the gain by using the amp's gain control and clip indicator which is much more accurate then the average ear.

Go to Soundqubed's website and at the top of the homepage click on the "tech support" button and you will get a drop down menu. Click on "amp setup" from the menu. It will give you easy instructions on how to set the gain by using the amp's gain control and clip indicator which is much more accurate then the average ear.
Wow I didnt even know it had that , thats awesome , will a 50hz test tone work fine? Also my hu is capped at 50 , should I leave it at 36 , 38 or 40 when setting gains?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Hoots

Hoots
Florida
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
gckless