'00 Grand Cherokee budget build

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bob Saget

Banned
Seattle, WA
This is my 1st complete build that I'll be doing 100% D.I.Y. I'm 21, in college, & working fulltime, so my budget & time is very limited. The basis for this build is simple. I bet $500 with an installer at the Best Buy in town that I can build an entirely superior sound system than he; the almighty, all knowing, Best Buy car audio god. (I have nothing against Best Buy or the audio guys there. I just know this kid from high school & he is a complete ass-clown, he thinks he knows everything about car audio.)

Here's the catch, I have a $500 budget & he has a $1,500 budget. The budget is for the following:

headunit

speakers

amplifiers

sound processors

I will have well over $500 in Knu wiring, sound deadening, mdf, fiberglass, & a Kinetik battery. He'll probably have $100 in Best Buy wiring, capacitors, & pre-fab boxes.

So far I know he is gonna be running 2 12'' Rockford Fosgate Punch P2's in a Best Buy pre-fab sealed enclosure. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Here's what I have accumilated so far:

Pioneer DEH-P6600 --- $55 (used 8/10)

Image Dynamics CX62 mids --- $20 (used 8/10)

Hifonics Hawk (ZED built) tweeter amp --- $15 (used 9.5/10)

MTX Road Thunder RT2100x --- $25 (used 6/10)

JL Audio 500/1v2 --- $110 (used 7/10)

Sundown SA-12 --- $200(brand new, ships tomorrow)

.....so that leaves me with roughly $75 for a set of tweeters & a 2 way x over.

The plan is to build a nice ported enclosure for the SA-12 ( unsure on size & tuning, suggestions?) & going active with the speakers...tweeters fiberglassed in the pillars & mids glassed into the doors.

Onto the pictures:

DSC01217.jpg

DSC01673.jpg

DSC01670.jpg

DSC01660.jpg

DSC01659.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

DSC01663.jpg

DSC01662.jpg

DSC01691.jpg

I should have the Sundown SA-12 by this weekend, more pics then along with the box build.

Going with Knu 1/0 Big 3, 1/0 power, & a Kinetik battery....all in the near future with pics, along with pics of car being deadened.

Then ya'll get to check out my mad fiberglassing skills for the speakers.

You got killer prices man. Those mids look fantastic for $20! I paid $60 for some about a year or so ago that didn't look half that good. Were they from a friend?

I'm thinking you should sell that amp to misfit138.
Not exactly the best way to get loud if you bet $500 against someone...
I've PMed Misfit & whenever I'm able to find another tweeter amp I like, it's all his.

As for the bet....it's not about SPL, it's better overall SQ. But, I would put a ported 12'' SA-12 off a 500/1v2 against 2 12'' Punch P2's in a pre fab sealed box anyday.

You got killer prices man. Those mids look fantastic for $20! I paid $60 for some about a year or so ago that didn't look half that good. Were they from a friend?
Thanks man.

Actually, everything came from a local pawn shop in town. It's a car audio gold mine. I've gotten everything for this build there except the headunit.

I also found a PPI Art A204 there for $40, which I planned to use for my tweeters & mids, but it was stolen about a week after i purchased it.

If u need a box build im in mooresville bout 45 mins away. Can build you something nice for the cheap if u dont kno how. Dont run a prefab, for the amount your gonna pay for it i imagine i could build you something.

I also haz this one 25" w 15" d 16" h dbl baffle tuned to 32 iirc. Carpet isint the best on back and top (did a crappy job on the seams) $50 u can test to see if u like it before you buy it if u wanted.

e39c0ff3.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.