Ascedant Audio Avalanche 10" build

Brianyakno
10+ year member

I have recently got my hands on a ascendant audio avalanche motor and want a high excursion build with alot of sq. i know the xbl2 technology is made for a shorter coil due to its design which makes it an amazing quality driver. Right now i have talked to psi and pap. I can get an extended length coil making this motor have more excursion therefore turning it into a overhung design the persons said it should still retain sound quality but will up the power rating. The other persons recommends the regular length coil because thats what this driver is made for. I dont want to have a driver with a xbl2 motor sounding bad because of the voice coil. Any input?

I have recently got my hands on a ascendant audio avalanche motor and want a high excursion build with alot of sq. i know the xbl2 technology is made for a shorter coil due to its design which makes it an amazing quality driver. Right now i have talked to psi and pap. I can get an extended length coil making this motor have more excursion therefore turning it into a overhung design the persons said it should still retain sound quality but will up the power rating. The other persons recommends the regular length coil because thats what this driver is made for. I dont want to have a driver with a xbl2 motor sounding bad because of the voice coil. Any input?

XBL^2 utilizes a special coil and generally the coils are shorter than in other designs. If you want a standard driver get a standard driver, but back engineering XBL^2 is probably going to get you worse results by trying to combine a little bit of everything. Drivers are more than the sum of their parts, simply adding spiders, making coils longer, etc does not mean the driver will be better. Read about XBL^2 and you can see why messing with your coil length might be a bad idea. Unless your builder does some FEA and throw the thing on a klippel to test it out I highly doubt he's going to design anything better than what Dan already did with the avalanche. You could look at an Exodus Audio Tempest to figure out how to use a longer coil properly with XBL^2, but at that point you've done alot of work lol.

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2DetailsPaper.pdf

XBL^2 utilizes a special coil and generally the coils are shorter than in other designs. If you want a standard driver get a standard driver, but back engineering XBL^2 is probably going to get you worse results by trying to combine a little bit of everything. Drivers are more than the sum of their parts, simply adding spiders, making coils longer, etc does not mean the driver will be better. Read about XBL^2 and you can see why messing with your coil length might be a bad idea. Unless your builder does some FEA and throw the thing on a klippel to test it out I highly doubt he's going to design anything better than what Dan already did with the avalanche. You could look at an Exodus Audio Tempest to figure out how to use a longer coil properly with XBL^2, but at that point you've done alot of work lol.
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2DetailsPaper.pdf

hey yeah i read that pdf a few weeks back thoroughly and clearly i would go with the shorter coil //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif i havent been able to find many vids of the exodus drivers other than their 18 and 21 but my issue is i want a 10" driver. i left a post on exodus's forum asking if they could sell the motor or possibly make a 10 " driver with the shiva/temptest/maelstrom etc x2 motor. doesnt seem like a largely sold driver and never see any used but its not a huge company which is understood. either way i wanna keep growing my audio collection =). do you guys believe box wise would 2cuft at 32hz would be good or if i went 25-28hz would be better. idc about BOOM i just want clean amazing lows but really not looking to go further than 2.5cuft. 2 or less would be ideal. the temptest uses a long vc? that due to the large top plate? ill see if i could get a motor at a reasonable price i could see possibly putting the aa ava motor aside for now either way they are both sexy and i want clean lowws i hope the ava motor will work out good right now i have a pierce audio wmd 10 which has a fs of somewhere in the high 30's i believe and it can hit lows pretty clean also the box i got is tuned at 40hz =/ which is one of the first things thats got to go too punchy for me

IMG_0042.jpg

this motor (tumult) looks identical to the x2 motor. i wounder how similar they are

nvm lol read other posts they are basically the same thing with updated technology. ill see if the motor can be had if a 10 can be made than ava goes on the back burner

I agree with tempest, stay xbl^2. The Avalanche already had good excursion potential, in the neighborhood of 27-28mm iirc.
+1 to this...

The Avalanche is a very capable driver. I wouldo also use the shorter coil and retain XBL^2. I often regret selling my Adire Audio Brahma 12. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

awesome =) good to hear. exodus only sells full subs no parts/motor. so idkk if i bought a 12" driver you think its possible to take off the basket and salvage the vc tinsels and spiders and recone it into a 10?

I've owned both the MKI and MKII Brahma's. They're awesome subs that are very very musical with the potential to get stupid loud. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Awesome //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif too bad u let em go. talked to psi, told me the avalanche is basically the same as a brahma mk1. they can take 15-1600wrms but not for long. ava was rated alot more conservatively and the brahma was realistic.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.