Distortion when trunk closes! HELP please

inevitable
10+ year member

Hi,

I have a Type- R 12" hooked up to a kenwood 7204 bridged. Out of no where this problem has started where if I have my trunk closed my audio completely cuts off. It will resume when i open the trunk. If it is on, and the trunk is open..it plays perfectly..but when the trunk is closed crazy distortion occurs effecting all speakers in the vehicle incl the sub. We checked the grounding its secure, tried a new grounding wire to the trunk including the one in the trunk, nothing same problem occurs. This has only started just 3 days ago, when i noticed distortion occurring whilst driving over bumps etc, but it worked perfectly for the past month since installation. Help...where do I start looking to fix this. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

My car is a toyota corolla 04, if that helps anyway...thanks.

uhh...wtf? I think I'd have to see this in person...cuz that makes no sense unless it something completely retarded you did
it makes absolutely no sense to me. We spent an hour trying everything to sort this out. We dont know if its the grounding because, adding another ground wire to the trunk kinda reduced the problem not entirely....it lessened the distortion when the trunk was closed. Its so odd.

Sounds like you have a wire getting closed in your trunk lid.
Where do you have it grounded? Ground straight to the 'frame' of that unibody.
Checked that, nope...all clear in the trunk. Its grounded straight to the frame.

sure its all the speakers and not just the ones in the rear deck?
Actually, when i noticed this occurring from hitting bumps on the road, the distortion would only occur in the rear speakers. I have speaker level inputs coming off the 6x9's to the amp (my head unit doesn't have RCA outputs), i just recently purchased hi/low converter which i was planning on putting in until this problem started. But to answer your question, yes, rear distortion occurred first. Now, i notice all speakers distort when you try and close the lid. If the trunk is closed and you turn on the head unit, the head unit is on playing a track, everything else is dead. Open trunk, we have life and sound....close it...distortion occurs in all speakers.

Is your headunit wired into the factory hareness? If so any short in the cars electrical system would affect it. ie wires mounted to trunk lid(license plate lights, brake lights etc...)

Just an idea

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.