Fuses keep blowing out on both Amps! Help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Cpyder
10+ year member

Audiophile
IL
Okay, so here is my system:

2 4x6 Infinity Plate Fronts (462.7cfp)

2 6x9 Infinity Rears (693.9i)

2 Infinity Reference Subs

4 Channel Lanzar Vibe 416 Amp (1000W Max x 4)

2 Channel Lanzar Rack Series Amp (1000W Max x 2)

(Sorry, I don't know the RMS off the top of my head. I hate max ratings as much as the next guy.)

Pioneer DEH-P560MP Head Unit (Soon to be Alpine CDA-9887)

Here is the problem: The 4 channel amp worked flawlessly for about 2 weeks. Then I hear an extremely high pitch frequency for about 5 seconds and if I don't turn off the head unit, the 20 A fuse blows on the amp.

Problem 2: The 2 channel amp won't accept power, the moment the circuit is complete (hook up the positive 4 gauge wire to the amp's terminal) the 2 20 A fuses blow.

Note: The fuse next to the battery is fine.

I've tried wiring them separately and the same thing happens. I've taken my car to Best Buy and they checked everything with a multimeter and every voltage, resistance, current etc. checks out. They verified the wiring is correct. I bought a new 4 channel amp and installed it. Same thing happens. (This means the 4 channel amp has nothing wrong with it.)

I think I've narrowed it down to 2 problems. The remote line is connected to the fuse box instead of the head unit which might be the incorrect amperage. Can this blow a fuse? (This doesn't make very much sense as I've been running the 2 channel with subs off that remote for 3 years and after the 4 channel was installed, it worked for 2 weeks.

Could it be the head unit? This explanation only explains the 4 channel misbehaving, as the 2 channel will blow fuses connected only to positive and negative 12 V supply.

So I guess it could be 2 unrelated problems happening at the same time as unlikely as that is. Bad head unit, and the 2 channel is simply broken. (Internal transistor????)

Please help if you have knowledge, albeit expert knowledge because I've stumped everyone I've talked to so far.

Thanks!

The RCA's could be grounding out? Also I know that Lanzar is not the best quality so they can be sensitive to ANYTHING.

Try regrounding both the amps making sure it is scraped clean..

Then hook your ipod up to the inputs using a y cable, if its fine then it is your RCA's (or your deck)

If you are still getting it hen its either the ground, or could be the remote. The remote (on most amps) normally doesn't affect too much.

What exactly do you mean the RCAs could be grounded out? Like there is a tear somewhere in the cable?

Great idea with the iPod!

PS. I know Lanzar is not the greatest but so far I've had great luck with them. (I think...)

try hooking each amp directly to the battery.

postive to postive. negative to negative. Jump the remote to the postive...see if they still blow there fuses. If they do, its the amps, if they dont its something in ur wiring.

I can jump the remote with the 12V + wire? This isn't to much for the remote turn on switch?

all the remote is, is a 12v switched wire that comes on from your head unit only when the head unit is on that way it'll turn of the amp when needed. just take the amp by the battery run a short postive lead to the positive terminal and run a small speaker wire from the positive in and jump it to the remote in. then run a neg wire to the neg part of amp and see if it blows fuses.

Okay, so today I swapped out the head unit for an Alpine CDA-9887. When I connected the RCAs after everything else was connected and turned on, I heard the same high pitched noise and then the fuse blows. So, I'm thinking it is the RCAs, not the head unit, or the amp. The noise is not present when the RCAs are not plugged in. What do you guys think is going on??

Disconnect the RCA's at the amp. Plug an ipod or portable CD player directly into the amp. See if the problem goes away.

I don't think it's the HU or the RCA's. Either you have a serious power problem, grounding or short in a speaker/power wire. Fuses are a last line of defense. Repeatedly popping them is very bad.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.