FI SSD12 frequency response

I think you don't understand the power of the human brain and you're confusing the limits of hearing with the brain instead of the ears. Your brain doesn't have a problem processing a 20hz signal but it needs proper SNRs to do it. Your ears have a frequency response associated with them just like any analog component (amps, speakers, motors, ect...) and they limit one part of hearing. Your brain is a logic based processor that can logically assess what signals are being sent and where they're coming from.
Hearing 20hz and below is all about getting a signal with large enough amplitude to the brain to process. Your ears help as they can still react to these low frequencies but without being able to accurately judge tonality (which basically means that 12hz will be hard to tell apart from 10hz). This doesn't mean that you can't understand that there is a signal but deciding which signal it actually is will be skewed.
I understand what you're trying to say, its argueable, I just don't think it logically or practically applies. Its like saying if I see a fire I can feel warmth. Or if i can feel air then its visible. Hearing, seeing, feeling, tasting, smelling, etc are all things our body can can do which help it to process and understand the world around us. They help us to 'detect' what is going on. However, they are all still seperate, and limited. Hearing, is when your brain picks up signal from your ear and tells you its sound and interprets it. When your brain picks up the signal of feeling 10hz and interprets it as sound, it doesn't mean you can hear it, it means just that, you can feel it.

Seeing your speaker move is NOT a good way to tell if there is pressure down there. In ported enclosures, the farther below tuning, the lower the pressure and the greater the cone movement. In my car the sub barely moves at 22hz and the cone is controlled from about 17-28hz very well. The cone moves the least at 22hz but that's where the most output is... hmm that seems to go directly against what you're saying... I guess cone movement is not a good sound meter huh?

Make a poll? So people can vote with ignorance?
Seeing a speaker play a 20hz tone is far different from having a flat response down to and below 20hz. And just because you haven't experienced it, does not mean that it's not possible. I don't expect someone like you to understand so you can just move on and write me off as an idiot as I truly don't care of your opinion of me (whether good or bad).

If you say you can't hear 20hz, have you ever had a setup that measured flat down to 20hz and lower? If not, I'm not concerned about your experiences because it's all useless for this discussion.
With my current setup, as I think you know, I CAN hear 20hz. But not below that, maybe 19 or 18, but I certainly can't hear 16, even though I get just as intense pressure levels at 16hz as I do at 20hz, hell the only way I can even tell that the 16hz isn't 20hz is because I CAN'T hear it, where as I CAN hear 20hz, other than that, air movement/flex/etc are all almost identical

Seeing your speaker move is NOT a good way to tell if there is pressure down there. In ported enclosures, the farther below tuning, the lower the pressure and the greater the cone movement. In my car the sub barely moves at 22hz and the cone is controlled from about 17-28hz very well. The cone moves the least at 22hz but that's where the most output is... hmm that seems to go directly against what you're saying... I guess cone movement is not a good sound meter huh?
that only applies to a ported enclosure though, because as you get well below tuning the port stops being able to invert the backwave of the cone due to wavelengths increasing, and it acts as though its in free air, which means its directly cancelling itself out. Granted you can still hear it somewhat, but much of the wave is being cancelled out. The reason you have the most output at 22hz is because thats where your port is able to most efficiently invert the backwave of the cone, which means there is maximum damping on the cone, causing a decrease in excursion

I understand what you're trying to say, its argueable, I just don't think it logically or practically applies. Its like saying if I see a fire I can feel warmth. Or if i can feel air then its visible. Hearing, seeing, feeling, tasting, smelling, etc are all things our body can can do which help it to process and understand the world around us. They help us to 'detect' what is going on. However, they are all still seperate, and limited. Hearing, is when your brain picks up signal from your ear and tells you its sound and interprets it. When your brain picks up the signal of feeling 10hz and interprets it as sound, it doesn't mean you can hear it, it means just that, you can feel it.
Logically applies? Are you familiar with digital and analog systems? I am and it is VERY logical.

I understand that our feelings are different but I also know by experience that I cannot tell the difference in perception from a 15hz signal and a 35hz signal. I detect both and I know they come from different analog receptors but my brain still perceives the 15hz signal as an audio signal and not as a feeling. It's the same idea of getting a "taste" from smelling something. You're getting the primary signal from your nose but your tongue takes up small samples itself (samples small enough that it normally would not detect them) and then you can perceive the smell as a taste. The same thing happens here; your hearing rolls off somewhere in the 20s and but your ear can still pick up small samples. The main trigger is going to come from the vibrations felt. The brain can process this and discern the signals are similar and thus were heard and felt. It's all about getting the right signal to noise ratio for your senses to work.

My brain tells me I'm hearing an audible signal below 20hz and that's based on the vibrations and minute signal from my ears.

My brain tells me whether I hear, feel, or smell something and I know the difference. My brain tells me that I can hear a signal. How it is taken in is completely irrelevant because the end result is my brain firing saying that I have heard a very low frequency signal.

that only applies to a ported enclosure though, because as you get well below tuning the port stops being able to invert the backwave of the cone due to wavelengths increasing, and it acts as though its in free air, which means its directly cancelling itself out. Granted you can still hear it somewhat, but much of the wave is being cancelled out. The reason you have the most output at 22hz is because thats where your port is able to most efficiently invert the backwave of the cone, which means there is maximum damping on the cone, causing a decrease in excursion
I know enclosure theory and I know how ported enclosures work. That was in response to this guy that thinks cone movement is directly related to output, which it is not.

Also my enclosure is not a ported enclosure and does not work the way you described. Actually, the rear wave is about 60* out of phase from the front wave at 22hz, not in phase like you describe (when you say inverting the back wave). The reason I have a peak at 22hz is due to the 1/4 wave length and how it reacts to my car's cabin environment.

Logically applies? Are you familiar with digital and analog systems? I am and it is VERY logical.
I understand that our feelings are different but I also know by experience that I cannot tell the difference in perception from a 15hz signal and a 35hz signal. I detect both and I know they come from different analog receptors but my brain still perceives the 15hz signal as an audio signal and not as a feeling. It's the same idea of getting a "taste" from smelling something. You're getting the primary signal from your nose but your tongue takes up small samples itself (samples small enough that it normally would not detect them) and then you can perceive the smell as a taste. The same thing happens here; your hearing rolls off somewhere in the 20s and but your ear can still pick up small samples. The main trigger is going to come from the vibrations felt. The brain can process this and discern the signals are similar and thus were heard and felt. It's all about getting the right signal to noise ratio for your senses to work.

My brain tells me I'm hearing an audible signal below 20hz and that's based on the vibrations and minute signal from my ears.

My brain tells me whether I hear, feel, or smell something and I know the difference. My brain tells me that I can hear a signal. How it is taken in is completely irrelevant because the end result is my brain firing saying that I have heard a very low frequency signal.
Your brain isn't telling you that you 'hear' something in those instances though, its telling you that there is sound, there's a difference. If you can't tell the difference in perception, just do this the other way around, listen to 30hz at a moderate level that you don't even realize can be felt, just heard, then 15hz at that same pressure level, you won't hear it, you most likely won't even know its there, even if your surroundings are 100% silent, your brain just doesn't process 15hz from your ears, it processes it from your sense of touch

Its like if there was a 100% perfectly clear glass wall that you were looking at. Your eyes can't tell its there, but you can certainly feel it if you reach out and touch it, and as long as you have your hand on it, you'll actually think you can see it as well, especially if for example you can see the edges of it (your eyes/brain filling in the gap in logic and making you THINK you can see it, even though youstill cant)

Our problem is with semantics. Hearing is the perception of sound... PERIOD. If you detect/perceive sound below 20hz you're HEARING it. That's all there is to it.

And yes, I have sat in my car at low and high volumes going back and forth between high and low bass frequencies. I am very much into subsonics and spend just as much time sitting in my car going no where as I do driving. And yes, I can notice 15hz at low and high volumes. The threshold to notice 25hz and below is raised but I know that and I have mentioned that in my first post!

you must tweek alot bro. to figure this **** out. i could tell below 20 hz by looking at the woofer move and count the cycles but still cant hear it
You can count 20 cycles a second???

I can't even count 4 watching my subs at 4hZ...

You can count 20 cycles a second???I can't even count 4 watching my subs at 4hZ...
after looking at the woofers al the time(when i get bored i hook up my ipod to the amp and just start trying to guess tones. i get realy close on how much they move . so its not 100% sure more like a educated guess

Our problem is with semantics. Hearing is the perception of sound... PERIOD. If you detect/perceive sound below 20hz you're HEARING it. That's all there is to it.
And yes, I have sat in my car at low and high volumes going back and forth between high and low bass frequencies. I am very much into subsonics and spend just as much time sitting in my car going no where as I do driving. And yes, I can notice 15hz at low and high volumes. The threshold to notice 25hz and below is raised but I know that and I have mentioned that in my first post!
alright well maybe thats just where we disagree

I see hearing as something that comes strictly from your eardrums, where percieving and detecting is your entire body/brain working together and using whatever information it can gather

I have dual 1 ohms coils wired to 2 ohms. Also I have the SSF set at it's lowest setting of 13hz. Anyone know of any settings adjustments I can try to flatten the response. At least in the 30-60 range. This amp also has a hawkins bass control which is a boost mixed with a SSF. I can either chose the SSF or the hawkins.

You can argue your point until your blue in the face.

We (humans) Can NOT hear it.

We may perceive it in other ways, but it is not by hearing like frequencies higher than 20Hz.

Which is also why it is known as 'subsonic', Having a speed less than that of sound in a designated medium, usually air; having a velocity less than Mach 1..

The sound moves slower than Mach 1 or 760mph, or 1114.667 feet per second...due to the wavelengths simply being too long...

Bottom line, you can't hear it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.