Old Jeep System - Sub Box

Participant count
  • Participant list

NorCal Jeep

Hello All,

Brand new to this forum and kind of getting into car audio out of necessity. I've been reading through pages upon pages of car audio basics on Crutchfield and various forums so I can construct a decent system for my old 1985 Jeep CJ7. I have a physics background in college so I know a decent amount about circuit design and such.

As of now, I have the mostly stock set up that the old jeeps came with - two 5.25 inch speakers (cheap aftermarkets replaced the busted stockers) in the sheet metal dash with no sort of enclosure. My plan is to mount two 6.5's on the roll bar in PVC end caps with an MDF ring sealed into them (basically a DIY boat tower speaker), two 6x9's between the front and rear seats, and two 12's behind the back seat.

I already have the two 12's from my first car, bought a sheet of MDF from Home Depot, and just got all of the PVC speaker materials. Here is my design for the 12's:

View attachment 26553693View attachment 26553694

It will be 30 inches long with a divider in the middle, and downfiring subs. This design yields 1,672 cubic inches of airspace for each sub minus the space taken up by the speakers themselves. I feel confident with the dimensions, so one of my question is: is there a better way to cut all of the pieces of MDF (especially the angled pieces) or does this set up look good?

I am designing the box to be downfiring, so my second question is whether I should use rubber posts screwed into the box to raise it off the floor, or two strips of MDF on either side of the box, and how high off the body of the jeep should I have it.

I have 5/8" MDF, wood glue, a nail gun, dry wall screws, circular saw, drill, and silicone seam sealer to construct it with. Any advice is much appreciated.

Personally, I think you'd be louder with a single 12" and either round or aero port than you would with 2 sealed. What subs are you running, maybe you could get away with running both in a common chamber and either 2 4" or 1 6" port. I've built a lot of boxes for guys in my local Jeep club and I managed to get the best Sq and output from sub down/port on drivers side.

One thing that I'd do is make your rear panel go to the floor like the sides so the sound can only come out of the front. Mount your bottom panel at an angle like this.

Do 1/2-1" of difference between the front and back(tailgate end lower). With the bottom angled and the 2 sides and rear panel to the floor, it does better at "corner" loading and pushes the sound towards the front of the jeep. You'll notice a big difference, especially from the low 30's to mid 40's, especially with the top/doors off.

If you have the YJ/family style roll bar the newer TJ sound pods work mounted on the rear part of the cage. Works alot better than right over your head like the CJ/YJ soundbars

Edit: Personally I'd use 2 pieces of 1/2" and double baffle the panel your subs mount on.

Sent from my G870a on 38's.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.