Line out converter problems

Participant count
  • Participant list

samshaver18

Today I installed a scosche 2 channel LOC-80 in my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I used the front speakers to connect the LOC. I cut the RF +, RF-, LF +, LF -, stripped the ends and twisted two leads together. Then I took the LOC wire and put it into a butt connector and crimped it, and took the twisted wire and put it on the other side of the butt connector and crimped it. I did the same for each wire. I made sure I matched the wires from the LOC to the stereo wiring. I connected the RCA into the LOC and put the dash back together. Then I tested the Stereo. and only the back speakers work.

Other things to note. The RCA is not plugged into an amp because I am putting my subs and amp in tomorrow. The only reason I plugged the RCA in now is because the dash is such a pain to take off.

I also have after market speakers that I installed Monday and have had no problems. If anyone could tell me what is wrong and what I need to do to fix it that would be very much appreciated, Thanks!

It has been a while since I used a LOC, but someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think you could hook a LOC up and then still be able to use the factory speakers you tapped off of for the LOC connection. I believe your LOC is sinking/absorbing all of the voltage from the factory speaker wires and therefore no longer being able to drive the factory speakers.

It has been a while since I used a LOC, but someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think you could hook a LOC up and then still be able to use the factory speakers you tapped off of for the LOC connection. I believe your LOC is sinking/absorbing all of the voltage from the factory speaker wires and therefore no longer being able to drive the factory speakers.
WRONG. I have my Audiocontrol LC2i tapped into my front speakers right off the head-unit. I chose the front only because the rear speakers in Fords usually have an active bass control built in that eliminates bass to the rear speakers. I have been using LOC's for 25+ years and have never had a problem. Sam, I would have to actually see your connections. I am thinking one of the crimp connectors is your culprit. I do not like using butt connectors, I am a stickler for soldering all my connections.

I stand corrected, always assumed that you had to give up the ability to power a speaker and use it's connection to drive a LOC. Also, nice tribute to your father with your avatar, sorry for your loss.

I stand corrected, always assumed that you had to give up the ability to power a speaker and use it's connection to drive a LOC. Also, nice tribute to your father with your avatar, sorry for your loss.

All your using when hooking up an LOC is part of the signal. The speakers will not lose any signal or power, as the LOC is only looking for a signal. And thank you, this Christmas will be one year.

Good information to know on the line out converters, i used one on my civic to add an aftermarket sub and amp but over time I ended up replacing everything with aftermarket. Just never could get everything to sound right with the factory head unit.

Always tough to lose loved ones around the holidays.

Okay, I'll stop high jacking the thread to talk about my project boom civic saga. Good luck getting your issue resolved Samshaver.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.