How do i waterproof my 6.5" speakers?

Pineapple
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
i just switched out my DA M661 components for DA Hex's. i noticed there were water marks on the back of the 6.5" midbass. when i mount the 6.5" in the door, there isnt anything to protect the speaker from water. so everytime it rains, my speakers will get wet. is there anyway to safely water proof them? maybe partially wrap them in plastic or make a shroud?

Buy the foam baffels, or bass boxes. And cut out the back portion. Unless you park on a slant this should protect the speaker. You could also silicon up the wire connection to be safe.

WOW, i never knew such things like this existed. exactly what i was looking for, thank you!!!!!

if i use these baffles, itll wrap around the entire back portion of the speaker, would this affect the sound quality of the 6.5" speakers? doesnt the 6.5" midrange/midbass need an open back area to perform right?

The vast majority of speakers are created with an infinite baffle (free air) setup in mind. Some say that the use of a foam baffle, acting somewhat like a very small, sealed eclosure, actually improved the midrange/bass response. But this depends on your install & speakers, YMMV. If you liked the sound they created before the baffles, you could always cut out the backs like stated above. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

what does YMMV mean? doesnt the 6.5" speaker need open air to function correctly? i notice on my diamond components, there a whole on the back of the magnet and a mesh screen deep inside.

YMMV = Your mileage may vary & no it doesn't need open air to function correctly. If this was the case anyone who has their speakers in kick panels or fiberglassed in their door panels would not be very pleased.

Some speakers are designed to perform best infinite baffle (no box). Some speakers will still perform decently well in an enclosure. If you are really that worried about it, just cut a large hole in the bottom of the baffle; Viola, you're back to being infinite baffle with the speakers.

no it doesn't need open air to function correctly. If this was the case anyone who has their speakers in kick panels or fiberglassed in their door panels would not be very pleased.
It is possible to put the speakers in kickpanels and end up with undesireable results //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Just depends on the speaker being used. Some speakers will need to be vented into and open area (like into the inner fender well) when in kicks to perform optimally

note. as cj said

cut a hole in the back of the foam
DO NOT cut a hole in the 'back'

rain is falling from above, so like squeak said, cut a hole BELOW the magnet on the back side... like this VVV

foam0rf.gif

and for future refrence squeak... im not a photoshop queen //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bawling.gif.6287aa5d1d447c8af063fc9466e822ef.gif so please dont put that in your sig or call me that... it makes me cry.

you better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

dont you love my idiotic photoshop skills?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.