EQ tweaking tutorial?

zigak
10+ year member

AR
As mentioned by probably 100 posters before, the alpine CDA 9835 is not easy to tweak for someone who doesn't understand the EQ settings. I've done several searches and am still lost.

I understand the basics, subs get the low frequencys, mids pickup where the subs leave off, or you can overlap etc. etc. but I don't understand the whole octave thing, and the various other settings. Has anyone written a tutorial on such matters? My old deck (Kenwood eXcelion) had some similiar settings, never understood though either lol.

I would really like to tweak my new headunit and system myself and understand what the different settings do. Anyone have some resources? RTFM is not enough //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I can run this for the Alpine 9830 Unit as well? I've been racking my brain the last few days messing with different settings, I just can't seem to get it to sound right.. It sounds like the high ends are muffled. Thanks for the info though, This should help me. Thanks again.

Thanks Jmac, I will try out your instructions.

I'm not tweaking for a flat response, just trying to get it so that I can listen to a wide variety of music without futzing with the controls all the time. Basically I want to be able to play alternative rock and then switch to hip hop without having to mess around with all my settings. I don't mind chaning the sub output on the fly since its easy, but any more then that it becomes tiring lol

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but.....

Jmac

When performing that tutorial you gave us do I set the crossover from the amp to flat/off??? And I assume the HU's volume should be 3/4's way up correct? Thanks!

When performing that tutorial you gave us do I set the crossover from the amp to flat/off???
If you are using the HU's internal xover then yes, leave the amp's to flat/off

And I assume the HU's volume should be 3/4's way up correct? Thanks!
Set it to the maximum level you would listen to your stereo at.

Thanks for the reply squeak9798! I have one more question, when I tried adjusting the midbass and midrange I dont hear a difference in sound at all this applies to both the Crossover and User EQ but when I mess with the bass and high treble it works just fine. My midbass/midrange is lacking big time!! Is this right? I dont like the sound Im getting at all. The sound is really flat. Also, does it matter if it's set at 2way mode or 3way mode? Because when it is set to 2way mode, the user eq function isnt available and in the crossover you cant set the high treble. You can only set low, midbass, mid. That freakin *****!!! And like I explained before, in 3way mode, when I try adjusting the midbass and mid, that function doesnt appear to be working at all, no matter where I set it to... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif ....I am getting //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif ..thanks...

The internal amplifer from the HU is off. The front stage are only powered by my Nak pa-2004 amplifier and like I said, when adjusting the crossover it only works for the low and high, it doesnt do anything with my mids and as for the eq it seems like it isnt doing crap no matter if its set at flat or all the way up.

Right now my settings are like this:

Crossover:

low - 40hz@6db/oct, 0db

midlow - No audible difference no matter where it's set at but its set at 160hz@6db/oct, 0db

midhigh - No audible difference no matter where it's set at but its set at 630hz@6db, 0db

high - 2khz@6db/oct, 0db

Parametric Eq:

low - 40hz, 6db, width 3

midlow - 160hz, 4db, width 3

mid - 630hz, 3db, width 3

midhigh - 2.5khz, 4db, width 3

high - 10khz, 6db, width 3

HU's internal amp is turned off, external amlifier is set to flat, HU is in 3 way mode. I need help really bad, because my old Alpine HU sounded way better with my stock speakers. Thanks!!

ok. Cool. I switched it back to 2way and it sounds better now but here's another problem, now Im lacking highs... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif ...I've tried tweaking it all morning but no luck. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks!

What are your crossover settings in 2 way? Now that your mids are back, you might want to adjust your tweeter attenuation on the Diamond crossovers.

You realize now why you've had no midbass? You had your front stage high-passed at 2K. You don't have anything hooked up to the channels that would be bandpassed in a 3 way system, so those two mid crossover settings wouldn't do anything. Playing with the mid frequencies wouldn't do anything either, because you were cutting out everything between 40 Hz and 2KHz with the low and high crossovers.

What are your crossover settings in 2 way? Now that your mids are back, you might want to adjust your tweeter attenuation on the Diamond crossovers.
My crossover settings in 2way mode are:

Subwoofer - 40hz, 0db, 6db/oct

Rear - None

Front - 160hz, 0db, 24db/oct

The tweeter attenuation has been adjusted all the way up (+2db I think) on the Diamond crossovers. This is what I had it before.

You realize now why you've had no midbass? You had your front stage high-passed at 2K. You don't have anything hooked up to the channels that would be bandpassed in a 3 way system, so those two mid crossover settings wouldn't do anything. Playing with the mid frequencies wouldn't do anything either, because you were cutting out everything between 40 Hz and 2KHz with the low and high crossovers.
Yes, thanks. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

So what should I do now? I've completely run out of ideas, and about to give up.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

My bass and mids are drowning out my highs big time. Like for example, when I pop in a cd with a female singer, they tend to have really high S sounds, and in my system the mids are drowning all that out...(do you know what I'm trying to say..)...anyways...back to the subject...I need help bad...my friends Xplods sounds better than mine!

hmmm... this thread seems to be a little helpful.

Yes, a LITTLE helpful..

personally, I think the older Alpines with the basic crossover and bass and treble functions sounds 10x better than the hyped 9835. My older Alpine cda 79xx sounds 10x better than my 9835. Right now Im looking to get a Alpine ere-g180 11 band eq to help tweak it out more.

Yes, a LITTLE helpful..
personally, I think the older Alpines with the basic crossover and bass and treble functions sounds 10x better than the hyped 9835. My older Alpine cda 79xx sounds 10x better than my 9835. Right now Im looking to get a Alpine ere-g180 11 band eq to help tweak it out more.
word....

**** all this fancy ****.... I used to own a 7875... that was easy to mess with. now with all the fancy stuff they dont even have a BASS and TREBILE command!

word....
**** all this fancy ****.... I used to own a 7875... that was easy to mess with. now with all the fancy stuff they dont even have a BASS and TREBILE command!

I used to own a 7875. I loved that **** thing but some fuker decided to break in my car and stoled it.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.