RL-p vs XXX

mrray13
10+ year member

uz some fegbags
IL
ok folks...

here goes an impromto comparsion between a proven talked about sub, the re XXX against a relative newcomer, the soundsplinter RL-p

first things first..some side by side pics...

rlpvsxxx0011hy.jpg

head on, they look like relatives...

rlpvsxxx0029jv.jpg

from the side, the xxx is deeper..8 1/4" compared to the rl-p 6 5/8"

rlpvsxxx0031pj.jpg

a little different angle... xxx 12 spoke venuzula, rl-p 4 spoke..

rlpvsxxx0044sh.jpg

a close up of the xxx terminal's..while i like the set screw design and 8 gauge input, i don't like the unwoven tinsel leads. for a sub with this kinda potential, i would've thought woven tinsel leads would have been in order

rlpvsxxx0050zi.jpg

the SS's spring loaded terminals....used by many...i actually lie the set screws of the xxx better (mike, are u reading this?) but the SS has woven in tinsel leads..which i like better then the xxx's

rlpvsxxx0065jl.jpg

the beef...the xxx has the bling, while the SS has the bring it on look..personal taste here...i like the no chit attitude of the black rl-p, but the xxx would be sweet inverted!

rlpvsxxx0072xn.jpg

another view of the magneets...

rlpvsxxx0083id.jpg

in the box next to the hifonics...the weight of this thing is something..like 58pds..makes for an interesting time installing it by urself in an vertical enviroment...lol

rlpvsxxx0090ju.jpg

close up in the box....

review in a minute...lol

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

ok..

on to the review..

this is based soley on three opinions..mine, my wife's and a good friend...we have all three heard both woofers in this set up...

speaking of which..the setup..

1.25ft^3 sealed enclosure pushed by an hifonics nemesis nx750..doing 750wrms(rated at 1 ohm)..crossover on amp set to 100hz, no subsonic...everything else factory monsoon in a 2004 grand prix.

so away we go...

ok..so i played everything from outkast's speakerboxx intro to def lepperd's vault album..

these subs sound sweet..they both keep up quite well with very little overhang. they are fun to watch and nice to listen too.

as to which has better sq..it's definitely a draw...u won't be disappointed with either one.

as to which plays lower, in this application, the rl-p wins hands down. my wife's exact words," it's (the xxx) doesn't go as low. the seats don't shake as much"....that was the opinion expressed by all three of us. so the rl-p wins here.

spl...while i don't have a meter...they were very close here. my wife couldn't tell a difference while ryan and myself both thought the xxx was louder as it went up in the frequencies. the xxx wins here, but not by much..of course a mic would be needed to tell the whole truth.

power handling...both handle the hifonics exceptionaly well. both could handle more power. the xxx is rated for more 1600wrms vs the rl-p's 500wrms. so by rating the xxx wins. i don't have anything that produces anymore power at one ohm, so i can't get into which sub can handle the most.

overall...it's a tossup. the lighter weight of the rl-p makes it easier to handle and it does play lower in this application. the xxx, due to power rating, should have the potential to get uite a bit louder and in this case seemed to be louder with the power on hand. the xxx might just need a bigger box in this case even though re recommends .8ft^3. it just doesn't reach real low sealed, even in 1.25ft^3.

if i had to pick a winner, it would be the rl-p. price, easier to handle and sq bieng a touch better due to the fact that it does play lower gives it the edge..in this application. more room, more power, the xxx is definitely a contender..no disrespect intended for this sub. after a few days of breakin, i'll update this review.....

maybe not as indepth as everyone would like, but i'm lazy..lol

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

Yup lol!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I know, not me but oh well
You have small feet, we have the same chair.

Those things are sexy!

Does your back hurt from that trunk install?

hey, i have average feet...size 11... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hilarious.gif.02a037aad04aa96f19982b298a3d70a8.gif

i only paid $15 for my chair..staples screwd up and charged me for something else...i think it was supposed to be $90..

my feet are sexy??? or the chairs??:boobies: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/handclap.gif.0c301076f534e244f0460706894f19e0.gif

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

I have that chair too! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryexcited.gif.c26a15f316d23068607f36ddacd7a7ab.gif

Your feet most definatley;)
IIRC, 50Hz and down is where the eXeXeX comes alive. Probally needed more airspace too. Good review though.

the rl-p swamped the xxx down that low...but ur right..i believe a bigger box would've helped the xxx....but in this app, the rl-p just played lower.

and remember, re recommends .8ft^3, i'm using 1.25ft^3..so the xxx should've went low and it did, just not as well as the rl-p..

my feet thank u!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

I’ve seen RE recommend a sealed range of 0.8-1.2 ft.^3 for that sub… the volumes on their website are apparently not optimal. (Placed for marketing reasons, perhaps? I’m not sure what Q they provide.) Be sure to do a follow-up when you build a larger box. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

However, I can vouch for the low extension of the RL-p. Due to amp difficulties, I’m only able to send my 15” ~300W for now, and it’s still able to grab hold and shake my seats and my chest quite effectively with a 20Hz wave. The efficiency surprised me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif And although I have no personal experience with it, I would imagine that the XXX can do the same, even if it requires a larger enclosure.

I have a question in regard to your SQ listening. Since the benefits of XBL^2 become more pronounced as excursion increases, did you analyze the "quality" of bass at higher volumes, when distortion would theoretically affect the SS sub more than the XXX? I’d be curious to know if you could detect a real-world difference in a sub with Adire’s Bl optimizations versus one without…

Also, did the XXX receive any type of break-in? Some agree and others dismiss the necessity, but the two subs should be put on as level a playing field as possible.

I’ve seen RE recommend a sealed range of 0.8-1.2 ft.^3 for that sub… the volumes on their website are apparently not optimal. (Placed for marketing reasons, perhaps? I’m not sure what Q they provide.) Be sure to do a follow-up when you build a larger box. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
i have to agree. in this app, the xxx suffered trying to get low...sounded suffocated. i don't understand the recommending of .8ft^3 when it is definitely not in the subs best sq interests.

However, I can vouch for the low extension of the RL-p. Due to amp difficulties, I’m only able to send my 15” ~300W for now, and it’s still able to grab hold and shake my seats and my chest quite effectively with a 20Hz wave. The efficiency surprised me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif And although I have no personal experience with it, I would imagine that the XXX can do the same, even if it requires a larger enclosure.
again, i agree......the rl-p does a wonderful job shaking everything in the car in this enclosure, while again, the xxx sounded like it was suffocating. i believe a larger box will cure this..or a ported one.

I have a question in regard to your SQ listening. Since the benefits of XBL^2 become more pronounced as excursion increases, did you analyze the "quality" of bass at higher volumes, when distortion would theoretically affect the SS sub more than the XXX? I’d be curious to know if you could detect a real-world difference in a sub with Adire’s Bl optimizations versus one without…
three different sets of ears...radio cranked...all agreed on two things...the rl-p played lower and both subs sound awesome everywhere else. in all honesty, other then the low end, there just isn't that much difference. the xxx seemed to play louder, to two of us, but that was it. u know, i would say the xxx was a little crisper at higher freqs, but it was muddier at lower ones...again, i'd say box dependant. to most people, like my wife, there is absolutely no difference in sq other then the rl-p playing lower in this application.

Also, did the XXX receive any type of break-in? Some agree and others dismiss the necessity, but the two subs should be put on as level a playing field as possible.
not yet, but like i stated above..i'm going to leave the xxx in the box for awhile and in a few days or so, update the review.

all in all..both are excellent subs....budget and space are going to be the biggest considerations...lower budget or tighter confines..take the rl-p

little more money, more room and more power..take the xxx

both are excellent subs..both are great to have. in the case of my wife not wanting to lose much trunk space, the xxx suffers from the small box and the rl-p wins.

i am going to be building a ported enclosure and testing both in my pickup..hehe

same power (750wrms @ 4ohm) though i might just wire to one ohm(though my amp isn't one ohm stable) and throw 3000wrms at them.....for just a minute..hehe

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

Yeah, price wise...the rl-p has got it beat i'd say. BUT, put the XXX in say....2.5 cubes NET @29hz or so....and even with the 750 wrms it shoudl amaze ya. But even if you had the 1600wrms in the sealed i bet it would make a difference.

But, i own a 18XXX as of the moment, and i will soo own an SS subwoofer. I'm looking at a single rl-i 10 for my brother, and an rl-i 12 for myself in my dorm stereo setup!!! WOOT

NG

Yeah, price wise...the rl-p has got it beat i'd say. BUT, put the XXX in say....2.5 cubes NET @29hz or so....and even with the 750 wrms it shoudl amaze ya. But even if you had the 1600wrms in the sealed i bet it would make a difference.
But, i own a 18XXX as of the moment, and i will soo own an SS subwoofer. I'm looking at a single rl-i 10 for my brother, and an rl-i 12 for myself in my dorm stereo setup!!! WOOT

NG
i'll find out this upcoming week..i'm going to build that almsot exact enclosure...and put both subs in it...

again...price and confines....lower budget, smaller confines..buy the rl-p

more room, more money..buy the xxx

u really can't go wrong with either...

that's also why i stress this application....1.25ft^3 sealed with 750wrms..the rl-p is a better driver, maybe not by much, but it is. in a different application, the xxx might just win...i'll let ya know next week..lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/2thumbs.gif.fdc3ba010dbb42b61704534b46d02fe4.gif

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

You are comparing a 1600 watt sub and a 500 watt sub, running a 750 watt amp. Much closer to the optimum power range of the RL-p. Clearly you are underpowering the XXX. XXX's are not the most efficient drivers in the world, they want well over 1000 watts to do their thing properly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

mrray13

10+ year member
uz some fegbags
mrray13
IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date