Inside Boxes...

95Prober
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Canada
HI, i heard somewhere, correct me if im wrong, that when you make a sb box with MDF, that by applying some minwax or some kinda sealer or something i dont know exactly, that it may help. it read that since the MDF is porous it smoothes and fills the pores. not sure if this is true or not. anyway, if you laugh, i didnt make this up, its hearsay! haha

well maybe i read wrong. well, does the inside need to have anything to be applied to it ? i mean would any application help or not??

well maybe i read wrong. well, does the inside need to have anything to be applied to it ? i mean would any application help or not??
help what? what are you trying to accomplish? wax will do you no good in a sealed.... polyfill wont necesarily help you in a bandpass...

Explain what it is that you're doing.

sorry, well its a sealed box application. just wondering if i have to apply anything to the inside walls ?? i heard somewhere that you can help the sound out by applying something. but like i said, its reading hearsay!

I think what they're trying to say is don't bother doing anything to the inside surfaces of an MDF sealed enclosure. Screw it, glue it, and run away. If she's pissed about the extra glue give her some soap.

I too have read somewhere that people use one of the products used in fiberglassing to coat all the walls. It was mainly just to ensure a perfect seal and no air getting through. But I just use good sealant/caulk to do the job. Seems to work just fine.

Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It! Wax It!

The February 2005 issue of CarAudio and Electronics addressed this issue when relating it to SPL. Spraying on something on the inside will not help SPL at an audible level, but in some cases might raise SPL a couple of tenths of a dB. But in your case, as long as you do a good job making the box, there should be no need to spray on anything, especially with MDF.

The February 2005 issue of CarAudio and Electronics addressed this issue when relating it to SPL. Spraying on something on the inside will not help SPL at an audible level, but in some cases might raise SPL a couple of tenths of a dB. But in your case, as long as you do a good job making the box, there should be no need to spray on anything, especially with a sealed MDF box.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.